Any Love For 1084/15n20 Coreless Damascus Blades?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a fan of 1084/15n20 coreless pattern welded blades?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Yes, but only for the visual aesthetics

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I can feel my tendonitis flaring up in my elbows from the hand finishing I've been doing lately, so I'm contemplating some forging projects to give my arms a break. Its been well over a year since I've done any damascus (pattern welded) blades and I have a ton of steel on hand to do it, so I've been feeling the itch lately to make a nice twist pattern sujihiki, but I haven't seen a whole lot of coreless damascus blades in your arsenals, so I thought I'd get some opinions before I get that project going.

Last edited:
Should be a good steel combination. Both are very tough and can get pretty hard, so the combination should work well.

Last edited:
Halcyon Forge does some gorgeous work although I think usually in 1095/15n20. Coreless dammy knives do show up on BST here and there, but I think they're relatively uncommon because a) they tend to be pretty expensive, often high hundreds to 1k+, and b) maintaining the aesthetics and geometry if you're using it consistently is a real pain.

This one is pretty stunning: 230 Dammy integral

As is this guy: WTS - Fowler gyuto

And SOLD - my take on a Sabatier

Always kind want one but like timebard said they are usually on the expansive side and need some knowledge and techniques to maintain their beauty.

Thanks for your input everyone, I'll definitely put it on my list for the next few weeks.

I love coreless damascus, but as others have said it can be expensive. I’m particularly fond of pattern-welded (i.e. purposeful shapes or patterns vs random) and low-layer these days. I have two customs on order which will be my first coreless which I’m pretty excited about.

I think many of the core members of this forum aren’t particularly fond of damascus as they use their knives heavily and don’t want to mess with polishing and etching damascus every time they thin, and would just as soon not pay for non-functional features. But there are a good many here who love damascus as well.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Back