Any Way To Tell If Wok's Non Stick?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

Reaction score
Is there any way I can tell if a Wok's Non Stick or not / what material it's made out of?

The Mrs was given this quite a few years ago and she thinks from memory she may have seasoned it when she 1st got it ….. unless it was the one she had before that so can't be sure.

The bottom’s wearing as you can see from the pics and I don’t know if it’s something harmful coming off into our food or if it's just Carbon Steel and I can just clean and re-season it.

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 0
To me it looks like an old non stick. None of my casts never show silver colored steel.

Since it's already possibly peeling maybe try scratching a small area there?

To me it looks like an old non stick. None of my casts never show silver colored steel.

Since it's already possibly peeling maybe try scratching a small area there?

Sorry ... you mean a different part to where it's not scratched (if that's what it is), won't it just look the same whatever? Or do you mean scratch where it's now silver coloured steel and if so what should I expect to see.

I did google it was well and someone suggested pouring vinegar it, if it's non stick it won't touch it but of it's not apparently it'll remove some of the other stuff, my only hesitattion is if it does more damage she won't be best pleased.

I'm guessing though if it's non stick peeling off it needs to go in the nearest bin anyway?

Sorry ... you mean a different part to where it's not scratched (if that's what it is), won't it just look the same whatever? Or do you mean scratch where it's now silver coloured steel and if so what should I expect to see.

I did google it was well and someone suggested pouring vinegar it, if it's non stick it won't touch it but of it's not apparently it'll remove some of the other stuff, my only hesitattion is if it does more damage she won't be best pleased.

I'm guessing though if it's non stick peeling off it needs to go in the nearest bin anyway?
I'd scratch the black to see if it comes off. Or the vinegar method seems logical but haven't tried myself.

And yeah if it's cast the scratching or vinegar won't hurt it, rinse well after vinegar of course. But if it is non stick and damages it more, I don't think it would matter much, as I wouldn't personally use that pan due to how much has come off already.

I tried to find this wok online using the name Swift and it appears that this company makes cast iron woks with non-stick coating.
Why you would do that, I truly have no clue. I guess one way to test is to use vinegar or lye to try and strip the seasoning off. If it's non stick it shouldn't affect the coating, but if its carbon or cast iron it'll remove the seasoning and take it back to bare steel, then you could re-season.

I tried to find this wok online using the name Swift and it appears that this company makes cast iron woks with non-stick coating.
Why you would do that, I truly have no clue. I guess one way to test is to use vinegar or lye to try and strip the seasoning off. If it's non stick it shouldn't affect the coating, but if its carbon or cast iron it'll remove the seasoning and take it back to bare steel, then you could re-season.
Interesting lol yeah really non stick cast... Yeah if that's the case strip the sucker and re-season!

Yes I think you're right, from my googling I think it's a Dexam Swift although they now seem to have dropped the name Swift.
Interesting lol yeah really non stick cast... Yeah if that's the case strip the sucker and re-season!

Best way to strip it is?

I've an small 8" angle grinder and a sanding disc although it's been used for various other things in the past, I was thinking about that to take it back and then just some fine sandpaper to give it a better finish as the disc is quite aggressive.

Would this be safe to do / does anybody have any better ways to go about it?

You could try a fine wire brush on your drill. With a sanding disc, you will probably have difficulty making it shape itself to the curve of the bowl and end up making gouges that way.

Last edited:
Yes I think you're right, from my googling I think it's a Dexam Swift although they now seem to have dropped the name Swift.

Best way to strip it is?

I've an small 8" angle grinder and a sanding disc although it's been used for various other things in the past, I was thinking about that to take it back and then just some fine sandpaper to give it a better finish as the disc is quite aggressive.

Would this be safe to do / does anybody have any better ways to go about it?
I'd try the recommendation above which a wire wheel. That should strip the coating easily and not really scratch the metal. Be sure to wear a mask, etc.

I'd try the recommendation above which a wire wheel. That should strip the coating easily and not really scratch the metal. Be sure to wear a mask, etc.
Why not just recycle it, the non stick coating flying around will not do anyone any good, you're never sure to remove it all and a new carbon steel wok will only set you back like 15 $

Why not just recycle it, the non stick coating flying around will not do anyone any good, you're never sure to remove it all and a new carbon steel wok will only set you back like 15 $
Bc it didn't sound like the OP wanted to toss it. Otherwise they would of done that and not keep inquiring about about how to strip it etc.

Easy Off oven cleaner. Don your PPE. Spray it on, let it dwell, and scrub with a scotchbrite. If that doesn't strip it then that's not seasoning but a coating that will need to be mechanically removed. At that point, I would recommend recycling.

Considering the amount of personal protection equipment (full hazmat suits) and special ventilated rooms I normally saw in places where they removed and re-applied non stick coatings... there's no way in hell I'd want to take on that project just to save 20 bucks on a new wok.
Just because you could doesn't mean you should.

The social psychology of gifting sure is fraught with all kinds of delicate etiquette issues.

Especially when it comes to items whose lifespans are finite according to some but not to others.

How else is it that a non-stick item ends up sticking longer than it has any right to?

Marie Kondo isn’t really about tidying, she’s about spirituality and your relationship with the universe.

Bc it didn't sound like the OP wanted to toss it. Otherwise they would of done that and not keep inquiring about about how to strip it etc.

My main reason for wanting to restore it was a present to The Wife from her mum and thought she'd have attachment to it.

This morning though I don't think she's bothered as it's a cooking utensil not a piece of jewellery and she questioned if it'd be safe, all the material removed and also is it guaranteed the material underneath is what we think it is.

I may possibly try the overcleaner method and also saw a video using a metal scourer and bicarbonate of soda, might give these a try but have decided to steer clear of anything that may throw dust up into the air as it's obviously not good "stuff" to be inhaling.

In reality though, with her change of opinion I don't now think she'll want to eat what's been cooked in it even if I succeed so will probably end up wth a new one anyway.

Saw the comment above about $15 for a new one, I'm UK based and most of the ones on Amazon the reviews aren't awful are in the £40 to £50 range, I wonder if part of that is people don't season them properly in the 1st place or is Amazon the wrong place to look?

If anyone has recommendations for others that have the helper handle be interested to hear them

If you want a cheap but functional performant wok I'd have a look in an Asian supermarket / shop. Here they usually have plenty.

If you want a cheap but functional performant wok I'd have a look in an Asian supermarket / shop. Here they usually have plenty.

I did have a look for and the nearest is 20 miles away so gave them a call but they didn't have any with the helper handle which The Mrs wants but a good suggestion otherwise👍

Big fan of the helper handle.

https://schoolofwok.co.uk/shop/woks/14-carbon-steel-wok-12322006

This one is so close the Mrs-In-Law may not even notice the switcheroo.

My Joyce Chen has removable plastic handles so safe for oven seasoning. The nonremovable wood handle might not do so well. If you have flame then probably not a big deal, you can stovetop season.

The social psychology of gifting sure is fraught with all kinds of delicate etiquette issues.

Especially when it comes to items whose lifespans are finite according to some but not to others.

How else is it that a non-stick item ends up sticking longer than it has any right to?

Marie Kondo isn’t really about tidying, she’s about spirituality and your relationship with the universe.
I thought Mary J was about spirituality and my relationship with the Universe? She has a sister?

I know this is the US Amazon link, but if you can find a Craft Wok (https://a.co/d/icE9SDG) you will be quite happy. I think mine was around $60USD, so about $30 more than the super-cheapo woks you can find that are flimsy thin sheet metal stamped into wok shape. I had one of those - a $25 special from the Wok Shop - and it was pure garbage. It wouldn't hold seasoning, it wasn't perfectly smooth, so food would get stuck in small depressions, and it was just a total pain in the neck. For a little extra money, a nice carbon steel version like the Craft Wok will make your wok cooking considerably more fun.

I know this is the US Amazon link, but if you can find a Craft Wok (https://a.co/d/icE9SDG) you will be quite happy. I think mine was around $60USD, so about $30 more than the super-cheapo woks you can find that are flimsy thin sheet metal stamped into wok shape. I had one of those - a $25 special from the Wok Shop - and it was pure garbage. It wouldn't hold seasoning, it wasn't perfectly smooth, so food would get stuck in small depressions, and it was just a total pain in the neck. For a little extra money, a nice carbon steel version like the Craft Wok will make your wok cooking considerably more fun.

These comments made me laugh / smile, I'd just opened the forum to start a new thread which was going to be titled "Which Wok" when I saw a notification of a new post so opened this 1st.

The one you've linked to, as I'm cooking tomorrow night, I didn't know if I'd be able to restore the one I had in time so I'd ordered one yesterday from Amazon "In Case" .... knowing I could send it back if it wasn't used but at least I'd have something for tomorrow and it arrived a couple of hours ago.

Mentioned it to the Mrs this morning as we needed it for tomorrow, she politely pointed out I was having a brain fart ... "But what you're cooking tomorrow doesn't need a Wok" ... and she was right so any previous urgency was now off and I could take my time to decide if it was right or if some of the cheaper alternatives (which couldn't be delivered in time) were a possible option.

The thread I was going to start would have had a link to that exact Wok you linked to but also this one

https://www.hartsofstur.com/stoven-..._f-rSpeh7vuMH-ibcnX_cEdFYSeh_uCBoCMnYQAvD_BwE

Which is also available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOVEN-Hea...4&psc=1&mcid=7f7e0f2b752138619db8279045d63444

My question was going to be which one should I buy as I was considering returning the Craft Wok and getting the other.

I think you've both answered it already and I should be a happy camper and hang onto what I've bought but would still be interested to know what your thoughts are as the specs look pretty much the same or if you the Stoven will fall into the "garbage" catagory.

Just so you know where I'm at I haven't cooked my whole life so anything in the kitchen is (or hopefully was) alien to me, I took a sudden interest a couple of weeks ago and bought a set of knives, then some sauces / ingredients and have now done a grand total of 2 Mei Goreng's, the 2nd was actually quite good and it's Chilli & Ginger prawns tomorrow.

My question was going to be which one should I buy as I was considering returning the Craft Wok and getting the other.

Note that the one you ordered has a round bottom, meaning that you will need a wok burner or at least a large burner on your gas stove, plus possibly a ring to sit the wok on. The Hearts of Stur one you linked is a flat-bottom wok, which does not need a dedicated wok burner. (Personally, I prefer round bottom woks, having used both; my previous Wok was virtually identical to the Hearts of Stur one.)

It looks like the Hearts of Stur one is decent quality. I have not used it myself, so I can't comment on this one specifically. One note though: having a wood-covered helper handle is problematic if you use a high-powered wok burner. I ended up charring the wooden helper handle on my previous wok because a lot of heat goes around the sides of the wok when frying things on high flame.

Note that the one you ordered has a round bottom, meaning that you will need a wok burner or at least a large burner on your gas stove, plus possibly a ring to sit the wok on. The Hearts of Stur one you linked is a flat-bottom wok, which does not need a dedicated wok burner. (Personally, I prefer round bottom woks, having used both; my previous Wok was virtually identical to the Hearts of Stur one.)

It looks like the Hearts of Stur one is decent quality. I have not used it myself, so I can't comment on this one specifically. One note though: having a wood-covered helper handle is problematic if you use a high-powered wok burner. I ended up charring the wooden helper handle on my previous wok because a lot of heat goes around the sides of the wok when frying things on high flame.

My bad I clicked on the wrong link, it is the flat bottom one I ordered although I'm sure we've got a Wok ring hiddedn away somewhere but never used it, the wife would probably prefer the flat bottom mainly for taking it to a flat surface to serve although I've read there are benefits to the round bottom.

I have spent some time trying to get the non stick off the old one this morning and decided with some sort of grinder it'll take forever, have tried a metal scourer with bicarbonate of soda and sand paper and would be here for another week.
I very briefly tried the grinder and could immediately smell the dust so stopped instantly.

I also google Stoven Wok reviews and they weren't great on the 30cm one so I'm going to stick with what I've got ..... especially as 2 people had said they're great without realising I'd actually ordered one.

Cheers to everyone for their input, really apreciated :D👍

Back