Any women knifemakers killing it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...so you just ordered one without any special requests except for maybe height, length and weight? No picture inspection for "Wabi Sabi"?
I would never buy any high priced knife without knowing specs and seeing pics.

I think there's a quickly growing interest currently in greenwood carving and "sloyd". Accessible craft, a axe and knife and no dustmaking. You can do it in the living room.

Ahh! True!

Like spoon carving I suppose? Which you can start with an axe! Wood is a lovely material to work with... The problem with modern office life is that you don't get a chance to work with your hands much... I can see why these crafts retain interest.

Axes are interesting... before chainsaws, forestry crafts were very labour intensive. In the age of technology it is easy to view the world through a culturally 'flat' lens. Older manual forestry tools tend to be quite nuanced by culture/region - adapted to the wood in the area and what their specific task was for.

A long while ago I got fascinated by this and read up on axe sports. I found this to be a mildly humorous take on competing in an Australian wood chopping competition:

Axemen's News Online: What to do if you go to Sydney Australia and cut hardwood

Wood in Australia is hard. The axe shapes that developed in Australia were adapted to these woods. It sounds like competitors from Europe and America often came under prepared for that difference!

That's another beaut by Andrea, for sure.

Hopefully the website you link to will change the story on this one.....

I have an MM. It can only be described as exquisite. I don't think it is a knife I will ever get rid of, and it is very very good value (even though I "overpaid" for it in the EU). I hope she makes more stuff for them.

Back