Anybody know who makes these?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone locally is offering these for sale… anybody know who makes them and what’s a fair offer? I don’t have much experience with synthetics.

Thanks!
IMG_2837.jpeg

They have the look of Naniwa Standard stones (that is, their basic noncombo stones, not the SuperStone or Chosera/Pro lines). Naniwa uses that S (grit) nomenclature for these stones, and varies color with grit. My Naniwa SuperStone 1000 is pale blue, and is marked SS1000, but the marking is in small letters on the side.

However, Naniwa does not currently make a 5000 grit Standard stone, which makes me very uncertain about that guess. They could be knockoffs, older versions, or something else entirely.

Those look like Naniwa Super Stones, or whatever they're calling them these days.

IN-20-z.jpg

2023 catalog page:

H4E9DbD.png

Last edited:
Those look like Naniwa Super Stones, or whatever they're calling them these days.

IN-20-z.jpg
That would explain the existence of the 5000. Yeah, they're probably Superstones, S1 version (half the thickness of the S2).

I have not used my 1000 in ages, and you don't read much about people using them, except maybe the 10K/12K as a razor finisher. A number of people have reported warping issues with these stones, especially the thinner S1 version.

Last edited:
I have not used my 1000 in ages, and you don't read much about people using them, except maybe the 10K/12K as a razor finisher. A number have people have reported warping issues with these stones, especially the thinner S1 version.
I haven't seen many/any positive comments about the mid and lower grit versions of them. I have a slice of both the 5000 and 8000 in Edge Pro format and they give a nice mirror polish.

Thanks again. The quality is not as good as I’d hoped they would be. I think I still want them. I can use them for German knives and wood carving tools

I wouldn't pay much for them. They are the cheap version of Naniwa's outdated cheaper tech.
What is the non-outdated choice for mirror polishing? Chosera 10,000 is in a completely different price bracket.

What is the non-outdated choice for mirror polishing? Chosera 10,000 is in a completely different price bracket.
sandpaper and flitz.

*edit: at least for normies like me. it won't look like I suddenly became KasumiJLA, but I can live with it.

sandpaper and flitz.
I don't see how you can use that on the sharpening bevel without losing the edge. If it is for area polishing rather than the sharpening bevel there are many polishing options of course.

5K SS is definitely better at creating a mirror finish than putting a usable edge.

Back