Anyone have a good educational resource for scissor and shear sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks in advance for any help. Looking to learn more about scissor and shear sharpening, namely understanding higher end hair and fabric stuff. Naturally its all the same basic concept, but looking to understand the different styles and options and techniques, idiosyncrasies and quirks involved. Would appreciate any direction to educational resources on the matter. Cheers.

I will be following this with interest. Every time I've seen someone inquire (not here) about sharpening hair shears, the answer has been "ooh, leave that to the professionals, the twists and angles are really weird."

I get by using 3000 grit sintered ruby rods, gently, only on the bevel, deburring-only on the flat. I have a set of these rods with varying diameters, and I choose the best fit for the shears. If this sounds expensive to you, I should mention that the set of 5 cost me less than $14 on Ali Express.

For scissors, I have an attachment for my Hapstone sharpening jig that works well, even on those expensive Japanese tailor scissors.

I'm watching this thread as well. Would love some help on even basic shear sharpening.

I do not haunt Blade Forums anymore but, if you want something that specific you might try registering and posting a thread in the Maint, Tinkering, Embellishment section. Benjamin from Baryonx Knives is likely to help. He actually designed and sells his own sheers. My advice is to not stary outside MTE but to each their own. ;)

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/husppoutsh.html

I know for high end hair scissors they sell specialized machines and jigs. Like you all, for me, that has always been a voodoo art best left to a pro so I've never really found good info on that either.

I remembered that Dean O doesn't post on YouTube anymore but he made some good videos on scissor sharpening:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dean+o+scissors
I wouldn't use the advice for high end hair scissors but utility type stuff and shears might be alright.

I have sharpened a few on my Tormek T-8 but wouldn't dare to sharpen high end barber scissors on that machine. At least not until I'm sure I don't ruin them. But utility scissors are doable, even on the Spyderco sharpmaker.

Bonika Shears is a professional shear sharpener that has hundreds of videos. She uses an expensive machine with sanding discs, but there is still a lot of knowledge to be gained from her videos.

Latest posts

Back