Anyone tried Manaka's ATS-34?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
I've been curious about Manaka's in-house forged stainless using ATS-34, which supposedly is the same as CPM154. Has anyone tried his knives with this line of steel?

I have an ATS-34 knife I use around saltwater when fishing as it does not rust. I have had it for at least 15 years.

I have like 5 or 6 Manaka blades in ATS-34. Some from around 4 years ago to a a few from his latest releases. Never had any issue with them. I recently scooped up the ATS-34 petty by Hinora-San that was for sale on Sugi Cutlery’s site. Joe also made the matching set of handles for these Manaka blades.

Attachments

• 8480DC3D-48D6-4DD5-AFD5-B266FB6384D8.jpeg
    8480DC3D-48D6-4DD5-AFD5-B266FB6384D8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have like 5 or 6 Manaka blades in ATS-34. Some from around 4 years ago to a a few from his latest releases. Never had any issue with them. I recently scooped up the ATS-34 petty by Hinora-San that was for sale on Sugi Cutlery’s site. Joe also made the matching set of handles for these Manaka blades.
How is the edge retention and feel on stones for the manakas?

RWL34 feels great on stones, but the edge retention is mediocre in my experience with HRC 62-63. Not as good as M390 or even SG2. I would imagine ATS34 is similar at best in terms of edge retention and being less tough.

Edge retention is good, if not great. I usually touch up my petty every few months. The others maybe every 4-6 months. By touching up I usually just do a few minutes of delicate stripping on my Aoto stone. Feel on the stones is not bad either, but that depends on the stones. I also have Aogami 1&2, Shirogami 2 by him. The ATS-34 is tough as nails

Back