Ashi Honyaki and Watanabe Honyaki polishes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
First is a 300mm Ashi:

Q2X8uwv.jpg

KIGnIYl.jpg

OkOKrqu.jpg

xVfhk8Y.jpg

0hxzIiM.jpg

Next is a 240 Watanabe Honyaki:

ZgH1jNw.jpg

kjxr6ob.jpg

HGnxMLE.jpg

DVCZOcy.jpg

XMMk0ji.jpg

Wow! That’s all I can come up with for now. Great job!

They are both amazing knife, where did you get the Watanabe?

milkbaby - thanks. Great link, I am just reading up on it.

But I think that Watanabe uses clay for his honyaki, as otherwise his tempering line wouldn’t be so clean. Look at honyaki by Robin.

milkbaby - thanks. Great link, I am just reading up on it.

But I think that Watanabe uses clay for his honyaki, as otherwise his tempering line wouldn’t be so clean. Look at honyaki by Robin.

Very different steel. It's impossible to say what technique (or mixes of) was used really. I use a little clay sometimes too.

Matus, I only skimmed this but applicable info here:
http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/2703-understanding-alloy-banding/

Hitachi steels are known to be clean but they still make big batches and it seems this banding can be a residual effect.

That's a good guess actually, it does look a lot like alloy banding.

On top of that, the Japanese bladesmiths love to solution/lamellar anneal in a pile of ashes, which would make the effect more pronounced. I believe they tend to do it as the heat-treating step just before the quench.

I'm not 100% convinced, though - It could be something else.

Jeremy you ever tried bringing out the banding on a mizuno honyaki? Would be interested to know if it's possible! They look amazing BTW, congrats

Wanna share how you did it...? Honestly who needs damasus and pattern welded steels with polishing skills like this :tooth:

Yep...what are the magic stones :)

BTW, great work OP!

I don’t know what’s going on here.. :eyebrow: but it’s incredible!

Sick job Brooksie! Especially love the Wat, but outstanding job on both...agreed that maybe you should do a WIP next time around...full details please.:doublethumbsup:

Back