Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We certainly have some pretty fun kit at work!

Also surprisingly easy to do (even for an idiot such as myself). I hadn’t really used the bead blasting machine much, but it came out quite cool, and took about 2 mins total.
I totally forgot u worked at a specialty place. I was wondering why you randomly had access to sandblasting equipment. I love the look.

So much for all those that claim Chinese cleavers should never be used to cut bone. Chopping chicken "bone in" was the way I was taught over there for many dishes. Americans would not be happy with needing to sort the bones out though.
This is a Beijingese Zhan Qie Dao/斩切刀, which are ok for chicken bones, the same can’t be said for Pian Dao/片刀. You can see them dealing with soft ingredients with a different knife here. I think the misunderstanding comes from that Chinese cleaver is a single type of knife which is sadly common also among Chinese, too. The recent Pian Dao purchases I made specially asked the user not to use the knife on bones or frozen food.

Another interesting small batch Sang Dao knife made by Fu Yi Dao, 1Cr13/410 cladded T10 steel, a simple carbon kind like 1095. Cost around the same as a CCK 1302 here.
IMG_1662.jpeg
IMG_1665.jpeg
IMG_1663.jpeg
IMG_1667.jpeg

Last edited:
I totally forgot u worked at a specialty place. I was wondering why you randomly had access to sandblasting equipment. I love the look.

Ha, yes it's not really an impulse purchase down the shops and plonk it in yer sitting room kinda thing.

I'd always liked the look of that kind of etch on stainless clad knives, with the nickel(?) layer and the three part effect. Works very well on the TT I think. :)

I might talk to the owner to see if he’s interested to sell these overseas, really great example of precessional Chinese knives.
Talked to the owner, he’s definitely open to the possibility, he only sold to individual Chinese chefs overseas before. Since I’m not really qualified to actually sale them, anyone have suggestions who should I contact to maybe carry a small batch of their knives?

Talked to the owner, he’s definitely open to the possibility, he only sold to individual Chinese chefs overseas before. Since I’m not really qualified to actually sale them, anyone have suggestions who should I contact to maybe carry a small batch of their knives?
There is always CKTG. I don't know if any of the usual sources for Japanese blades would be interested in a Chinese one.

There is always CKTG. I don't know if any of the usual sources for Japanese blades would be interested in a Chinese one.
I’m thinking CKC, Bernal or Strata since they carry international blades already.

I’m thinking CKC, Bernal or Strata since they carry international blades already.
CKTG is what came to mind for me. This seems right down Marks alley. But the others also would probably be good.

Provided Phillip of homebutcher doesn't have any sort of exclusivity agreement with his other suppliers, perhaps he would be interested too.

Migoto Mini-Cleaver finally arrived today after a big delay from DHL (originally scheduled for delivery last Wednesday).

First Impressions:

F&F is good being standard Migoto and I was somewhat surprised (although I shouldn't be knowing it is ~ 180mm x 80mm) at the height. The grind (?) is well-executed and the steel feels great on the board as to be expected with Tanaka. I've actually already used it four times today on separate occasions which I'd get ridiculed for if my friends and/or family caught wind. (There is something special about having a new knife and getting to know it that only knife nerds would understand.) The cutting feel is interesting with potatoes, however, as it feels fall through before hitting a certain point where it hits a little resistance (guessing this probably makes zero sense whatsoever but I don't know how to explain it 🤣 ).

All in all, I'm a fan of the Mini-Cleaver and am glad I was able to pick one up. I do, however, miss my old Hitohira Togashi 180mm cleaver as that was heftier and a bit taller. If I were to describe a difference between the two it'd be that the Mini-Cleaver feels more like bigger nakiri whereas the Togashi really felt like a small cleaver so to speak.

Migoto Mini-Cleaver finally arrived today after a big delay from DHL (originally scheduled for delivery last Wednesday).

First Impressions:

F&F is good being standard Migoto and I was somewhat surprised (although I shouldn't be knowing it is ~ 180mm x 80mm) at the height. The grind (?) is well-executed and the steel feels great on the board as to be expected with Tanaka. I've actually already used it four times today on separate occasions which I'd get ridiculed for if my friends and/or family caught wind. (There is something special about having a new knife and getting to know it that only knife nerds would understand.) The cutting feel is interesting with potatoes, however, as it feels fall through before hitting a certain point where it hits a little resistance (guessing this probably makes zero sense whatsoever but I don't know how to explain it 🤣 ).

All in all, I'm a fan of the Mini-Cleaver and am glad I was able to pick one up. I do, however, miss my old Hitohira Togashi 180mm cleaver as that was heftier and a bit taller. If I were to describe a difference between the two it'd be that the Mini-Cleaver feels more like bigger nakiri whereas the Togashi really felt like a small cleaver so to speak.
Yeah I’m really digging mine, but it feels like big nakiri rather than small cleaver.

First Impressions:

Yeah I’m really digging mine, but it feels like big nakiri rather than small cleaver.
Definetly interested in those, missed them since I'm out visting family right now. Is the Nakiri feeling more of a handles issue or overall weight and balance thing?

Definetly interested in those, missed them since I'm out visting family right now. Is the Nakiri feeling more of a handles issue or overall weight and balance thing?
I’d say it’s the combination of the blade dimensions being smaller, the thinner wa handle that has a neck. The spine is pretty thin but very stiff and stout. Also the profile is very cleaver. Extremely gentle curve that allows it to have a flat feel but be very smooth on the board. It does blur the line slightly between mini cleaver and nakiri, but I think it settles into big nakiri imho first impression, which is cool with me. I have plenty of cleavers so kind of fills a spot I don’t really have anything in.

Here is a video from Frederick on the cleaver that was posted earlier in a batch. I think it came out really nice. I’ll be interested to get on the board. Originally, it was a little curvier. He offered to make it a little less curvy and I accepted.

Back