Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm new to the cleaver game, recently picked up a Matsubara 210 and am in love, i need more. What are your nerd's favorite squares you've owned?

Another approach to the dish I posted above, this is also a professional chef, but he uses 2 different cleavers for bone in chicken and vegetables. So not every Chinese chef use just one knife.

Well I'm new to the cleaver game, recently picked up a Matsubara 210 and am in love, i need more. What are your nerd's favorite squares you've owned?
Someone asked a similar question previously deep in this thread. Here was my response at the time.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/post-your-rectangles.58329/post-947668
I've since added a few new ones to the collection, including chopper king, a custom from matt sicard, and a massive okubo "nakiri" from knifejapan. These are all also great in their own ways.

I find that most off the shelf cleavers are either too big or too small for my preference, so I tend to go more custom route nowadays for cleavers. However, if you are looking for something like Matsubara that you can get from a vendor, I'd also suggest Chopper King from CKTG, or Takeda. Very different price points, but good off the shelf knives that I'd personally recommend.

Phil released a 25% code for Home Butcher (dadsdoitbetter). Some pretty tempting Murata's, Myojin and Nigara.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread but I'll leave it here anyways for the code. :)

Last edited:
hank5.jpg

It's not the size that counts, it's ... actually nevermind. Yea, the size is the only thing that matters.

Sujihiki with attitude.
Of course, I’m assuming your joking. But the Spare comes in at 95mm at the heel by 220, which is basically the specs of the 1302 CKK, although the CCK 1302 I saw listed at 98mm that 3 mm is a very negligible difference. The Spare was actually originally 98 mm, but he made the profile less curvy so there’s the 3 mm. I would consider it a middle sized cleaver, but I guess since it has less height than the large cleavers, one might categorize it as a large small cleaver, which to me is a mid sized cleaver. Alot of my nicer cleavers are large #6 types and such, I wanted another nice mid sized cleaver with this. And Frederick nailed it I think.

hank6.jpg
hank7.jpg
hank8.jpg

Hey Bill,

Knife is done, just gotta take some pictures. While polishing at the final grit, the edge caught the corner of the belt and I got a tiny blue spot, which I thought chasing would only make worse, so I left it. Won’t affect anything but I thought you should know.

Back