Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my first custom cleaver. Massive shout out to @MSicardCutlery for his excellent craftsmanship and exceptional service. Can't recommend Matt Sicard enough!

The cleaver was in AEB-L and came in at 220x110mm, 344g, ~2.2-2mm spine. Handle is beautiful. Great balance point and fantastic grind. Looking forward to testing it properly this weekend.

Attachments

• 265484-a7c8f1bc88387b58c53796c31a77f0d8.jpeg
    265484-a7c8f1bc88387b58c53796c31a77f0d8.jpeg
    8.3 MB
  • 265486-c12d450700addc243b7492cba0a7cb11.jpeg
    265486-c12d450700addc243b7492cba0a7cb11.jpeg
    7.5 MB
  • 265488-fa8ab16f99459ab6eb4f436e6cb50501.jpeg
    265488-fa8ab16f99459ab6eb4f436e6cb50501.jpeg
    6.1 MB
  • 265485-ed9346e5029d0a3f1ba0b8c923e1d00c.jpeg
    265485-ed9346e5029d0a3f1ba0b8c923e1d00c.jpeg
    7.6 MB
  • PXL_20231101_234039603.jpg
    PXL_20231101_234039603.jpg
    1.9 MB
Just received my first custom cleaver. Massive shout out to @MSicardCutlery for his excellent craftsmanship and exceptional service. Can't recommend Matt Sicard enough!

The cleaver was in AEB-L and came in at 220x110mm, 344g, ~2.2-2mm spine. Handle is beautiful. Great balance point and fantastic grind. Looking forward to testing it properly this weekend.

Very nice! Matt is awesome. I have some if that wood on one of my knives from him. 👍

And I thought I had given up drooling...

Really nice.

I'm a rectangle veteran but a cleaver neophyte, only have 1 (for now) cleaver. Been so focused on oversized nakiris and 240s lately but I pulled out my long neglected Chopper King small slicer to spot check. What a delight, I forgot how much fun it was. Like a laser with proper heft. I apologize for straying from the light

I'm a rectangle veteran but a cleaver neophyte, only have 1 (for now) cleaver. Been so focused on oversized nakiris and 240s lately but I pulled out my long neglected Chopper King small slicer to spot check. What a delight, I forgot how much fun it was. Like a laser with proper heft. I apologize for straying from the light

I've heard that for $9.99/wk, @BillHanna offers a ten week "Exploring Your Cleaver Side" course.

I’m a huge fan of my Chopper King, and surprised how often I end up reaching for it considering it’s a $60 knife.

I’m curious on what the gains are moving into the higher end Japanese ones: Sugimoto, Migoto, the elusive Konosuke etc.

Seem to be great gains in steel quality and grind, but also seem to run a little weightier.

Would love any guidance from those farther down the rectangle road and what the benefits of the upgrade are.

I’m a huge fan of my Chopper King, and surprised how often I end up reaching for it considering it’s a $60 knife.

I’m curious on what the gains are moving into the higher end Japanese ones: Sugimoto, Migoto, the elusive Konosuke etc.

Seem to be great gains in steel quality and grind, but also seem to run a little weightier.

Would love any guidance from those farther down the rectangle road and what the benefits of the upgrade are.
I like the extra weight (really a proper cleaver collection has a range of weights to select from, for the task). It's a bit like going from a laser to a workhorse; the weight can be a real ally for almost any kind of cutting or slicing or chopping. I do have a 280g cleaver that is quite thin, and I reach for it a lot less than I imagined I would. Usually it's 420-580g for me.

The edge retention is much better.
The pleasure of sharpening is much better.

It's hard to quantify, but there's also just the feel of using a higher-quality tool. A well-made cleaver with good steel is just a pleasure to use.

(really a proper cleaver collection has a range of weights to select from, for the task).
Amen. One group is all “That’s not a cleaver, it can’t break bones”; then another group is all “Thin is Justice!”.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch; they have gyuto diversity that transcends weight or length. Do that with cleavers, as well.

Please, you Cleaver Enthusiasts, I need your advise. I am torn between the CCK KF 1913 "Slicer" and a Sugimoto CM-4030 small Chinese Clever. Looking for a stainless, easy cutting slicer with good edge retention. Which one would you take? Your recommendation is highly welcome.
Thank you very much for your attention and best regards
Michael

Please, you Cleaver Enthusiasts, I need your advise. I am torn between the CCK KF 1913 "Slicer" and a Sugimoto CM-4030 small Chinese Clever. Looking for a stainless, easy cutting slicer with good edge retention. Which one would you take? Your recommendation is highly welcome.
Michael
Chopper king in VG10 or Aus-10

Well it is posted as a nakiri.

And nothing wrong with a welded tang. Done by several makers.
210x100 though lol, we can also call it an extra wide flat tip flat gyuto if that's the case. At that weight, you probably won't wanna slap garlic and ginger if it has a weld tang.

210x100 though lol, we can also call it an extra wide flat tip flat gyuto if that's the case. At that weight, you probably won't wanna slap garlic and ginger if it has a weld tang.

If the weld was done properly, other parts of the knife will give out long before the weld will.

Most Chinese made cleavers use welds, easy to just cut the blanks, if the weld is done correct they are very strong. The stainless handled CCK, Shibazi and chopper king are all welded

Chopper king in VG10 or Aus-10
Thank you very muchfor your reply. Chopper King seems to be very promising. However I'm living in Europe, this brand is not available over here. It would be great, if somebody could answer my question:
"I am torn between the CCK KF 1913 "Slicer" and a Sugimoto CM-4030 small Chinese Clever. Looking for a stainless, easy cutting slicer with good edge retention. Which one would you take? Your recommendation is highly welcome."
Best regards, Michael

Michael

The CCK 1913 will be a bit lighter and thinner and cheaper, however it looks like that sugimoto has a taller blade than the 1913 and it will also have slightly better edge retention.

Should be noted both those options are quite small for a cleaver (190x95cm for sugimoto 4030 and 195x80cm for cck1913). If you can find it I would personally recommend a slightly larger cleaver like the CCK 1911 (210x95) or even larger. If I absolutely had to pick between those two I would go for the sugimoto 4030 just because 80mm is in my opinion not enough blade height on a cleaver.

Thank you very muchfor your reply. Chopper King seems to be very promising. However I'm living in Europe, this brand is not available over here. It would be great, if somebody could answer my question:
"I am torn between the CCK KF 1913 "Slicer" and a Sugimoto CM-4030 small Chinese Clever. Looking for a stainless, easy cutting slicer with good edge retention. Which one would you take? Your recommendation is highly welcome."
Best regards, Michael
If that’s the case 4030, should have better retention

Michael
Hey there,
I have the cck 1812( which is almost the same as 1913, just slightly bigger and w/ stainless handle) and also the cm 4030 sugimoto. (Along with quite a few other cleavers too, btw)
I work in a pro kitchen and I regularly switch between cleavers, not just these two. In my experience cm 4030 has maybe a little better edge retention, but not by really much. But, cck is sooo much lighter and way thinner. I may have thinned the sugimoto a little but is still quite thick behind edge.... Makes cck, for me, more fun to use, for most of stuff. Depends what u cut of course....

Just bear in mind the cck is light...maybe mine, with a stainless handle, a bit more than the wooden one

As stated by someone else above ,that 1913 is really small. My 1812 is a bit bigger than 1913 and still I can feel quite some difference in height when I switch between cck1812 and the cm4030.

On a cleaver spree here, Sugimoto OMS No.6, lovely handle and nice shealth. The grind is kind typical Japanese Chuka oval grind, almost S grind, edge is thin with good convexity, tho the grind is not as deep as Sakai Kikumori or Tsubaya, I will test to see which one I like more.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    2.6 MB
  • IMG_0188.jpeg
    IMG_0188.jpeg
    954.4 KB
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    4.2 MB
Back