Bent blade, is it normal?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedc

Reaction score
I recently bought Victorinox bread/pastry knife. Later noticed that knife has a bent blade. It seems that this happened during the hardening process. I'm waiting for answer from Vix support. Has anyone come across a similar one with the knives of this brand?

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_161933.png
    IMG_20210311_161933.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20210311_162543.png
    IMG_20210311_162543.png
    914.3 KB · Views: 88
I mean, the blade isn't straight. I haven't yet used the knife as usual. That can't be forgiven for the price, IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG-20210310-175416.jpg
    IMG-20210310-175416.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 25
Yes, no result. I think the shape of such high quality steel can't be changed by deformation without high temperature.

My vic breadknife is rather flexible. Put the tip on the table, put a cloth over it to not cut yourself, and put some weight on it. It should fix pretty easily. Don't heat it.

I personally doubt that was a heat treating issue. Victorinox cranks those things out in huge quantities and the entire process (start to finish) is highly automated. Given that, the relative soft steel and thin blade, I'd guess it happened down stream of HT and slipped through QC.

No disrespect at all, Victorinox makes good stuff for what they are but they are not high end. They're a mass quantity product and the occasional issue will slip by.

That sucks. Maybe clamp it in a bit of a reverse bend and heat it in the oven to 200F? I don't know much about straightening blades though..... and I don't know what temps that handle will take. Maybe someone wiser can chime in.

Edit: yea, if Vic will replace it do that.

Last edited:
Only try fixing it if they won't help you.

And ask at the store too, if you bought it in a store. They may even look at the knife and say "Here, take this other one instead" on the spot.

That can't be forgiven for the price, IMHO.

I don't want to be "that guy" but....It's a $30 knife. Does it affect use?

Agree with above posters, take it back to where you got it and they'll probably replace it or give you at least a a customer service poc where you can mail it in. Best of luck.

Back