Best blacksmiths for blue #2 heavy workhorses

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at my CKTG account … and
they don't charge sales….
No longer the case with CKTG. I noticed California sales tax on my invoice for a recent purchase. I questioned the sales tax and here was CKTG’s response: “…However, in 2016 the Supreme Court ruled in South Dakota vs Wayfair, that that was no longer the case and required "remote" sellers like us to charge sales tax.”

I think it’s just a little thinner BTE and at the tip than a ryo-deba, but similar thickness along the spine and midsection. I would like to try and break down some fish with it, just to see how the steel holds up.

They are fully convex, but convex ground knives have low spots too. I’ve had 3 Watanabes and a Toyama, all with very consistent, nice grinds and all with low spots, some worse than others. My Shihan had a small one that came out really quickly. Pretty much every knife I’ve owned and thinned has had a low spot (or multiple). They don’t bother me unless they affect performance or maybe if they’re super big for some reason. I thinks it’s very rare for a knife not to have low spots unless you’re paying a lot for something that’s known to not have low spots or it’s hand finished on stones like Mazaki, Manaka, Jiro and a bunch of western/custom makers.

I’m like the 3rd owner of my Kaeru Wakui WH and it was starting to get a little thick BTE so I thinned it. The scratch pattern went about halfway up the face of the knife, higher near the tip, and I didn’t find a single low spot. I don’t think it’s a huge deal, just found it impressive.
Got it, and agree with you. I’ve thinned / polished some Toyamas and Shigs and they all had some minor low spots, usually near the tip and heel.

Has anyone here tried the Wakui workhorse sujihiki from JNS? It’s one of the heaviest sujis I’ve ever seen, but that might not be such a downside given the application.

Back