Best knife for removing silverskin.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show off!!!! This is getting off the subject, but how do you sharpen the area near the finger guard?

I'm sure there are different methods that accomplish the same goal, but I would use the corner of the stone to sharpen the concave bevel near the finger guard.

This is an easy one...

xil2.jpg

Good god Pete, that is one sexy knife.

My fave is a Moritaka 240 yani-suji. I had to do a fair bit of work to it to make it a good performer. It's the only Moritaka in my extended batterie. Much to my great surprise, once I got it dialed in, I found it excels for trimming and portioning. I picked it up just to have a hands on look at a Moritaka after all the discussion. I didn't have much in the way of expectations, so to that extent, it's really exceeded them, but I've been happy with it despite it's somewhat rustic character and quirks.

Although I really like the traditional style boning knife... I prefer this one for the majority of my meat and chicken butchery. That includes removing silver skin.

-Chuck

CP handle.jpg
rader H.jpg

I don't get much variation in proteins at work. But I've been trimming up piles of beef eyefillets and lamb shoulders over the last few weeks and I've been switching been a gokujo and a hankotsu. I really enjoy the hankotsu for this, but it's such a specific knife that it has basically no value outside of butchery (which is fair enough, as it is the intended purpose of the knife), but even in butchery there's some tasks it seems to excel at and others it just flat out sucks at.

Perhaps it's the wide (single) bevel which helps with the silverskin, so in that sense I guess a yanagi would be a decent choice. Certainly a little bit of height would make it much more versatile. I reckon the Hattori FH honesuki would be a good choice for trimming silverskin and general butchery; would probably double as a decent line knife too.

No idea why a honesuki or garasuki should be needed for it, and certainly no hankotsu. My butcher does it with a worn désosseur, thin, narrow. I'm quite sure any thin petty will do.

No idea why a honesuki or garasuki should be needed for it, and certainly no hankotsu. My butcher does it with a worn désosseur, thin, narrow. I'm quite sure any thin petty will do.

I find the thickness of my Fujiwara Honesuki is counter productive when it comes to trimming silver skin. Could very well be a technique issue... :tease:

I do a few tenderloins a month and like a Petty for the task. 150 works well, 180 works best. For me. Rolling the knife to reverrse direction is easily accomplished - not so with a SB.

Global 6 inch flexible utility. Only Global I've ever owned, or used and only for cleaning up proteins. Thin, nice tip, fits the hand nicely.

I've never used anything other than a 6" petty or 6" boning so I can't really comment... But I thought a honesuki was designed more for poultry?

How thick are they? The extra height at the heel looks like it could be useful for some tasks.

But is the tip thin enough?

I lways thought this is what these thin 180 or 210 Tasatsuna or Suisin suji/petty knives were for, but Pete's Rader knife gives the definite answer IMHO.

Stefan

For that amount of volume I would stick with the traditional "desosseur" pattern. Victorionox making a good workhorse boning knife that is thin and easy to maintain. If I was working in a professional setting this would be the knife I would use. I've harvested a lot of big game and so this is my point of reference.

If I wanted something a little more fancy then I would just commission something.

Back