Best Workhorse Gyuto for $500

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only those Shigehiro weren’t so short in the heel. They look so sick. But even the 240 is south of 48. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
Yeah. I know. I stared at the product page for years before taking a chance.
Happy I did though. We’re still on our honeymoon but I’m pretty sure we’re gonna get along just fine.
There’s something about the profile and grind and how nimble it feels in use that just makes me forget it’s only 50mm tall.
If nothing else it’s a very cool knife worth test driving if you ever get the chance.

I’m still looking myself. Probably going to grab one in the 240 eventually. And a 180 petty. Oh and probably the 270 suji as well. [emoji23]

My toyama 270 is 260gr. Seems like a ton of variation with these knives.
Well I swapped out the D handle for an ebony and marble one. I’m guessing it adds a few grams but I’m not sure. The default weight is probably closer to 230-240g.

First, this removes chicken bones from the equation and 80 bucks from the budget: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...roducts/rinkaku-semi-stainless-150mm-honesuki

Past that, my suggestion would be to grab the Wakui from Ashy on BST: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/wakui-migaki-ss-white-2-240mm-gyuto.41596/

These two knives would together would be $250. Then, hang tight with the rest of the budget. Spend some time using the Wakui and the Izakuchi that you have and reflecting on what you like and don't like about each. Then, report back for round two :)

The term workhorse isn't really an absolute... For some, a Mac Pro checks the box perfectly, for others everything pales in comparison to a Kato.
The Wakui will tackle everything on your list well, it's an excellent value, and it's easy to sharpen.

Oh yeah, another way to spend that extra $250 is on stones :p

McMan, don’t know what happened to the op but I took your advice and bought Ashy’s wakui. Thanks!

Interesting. I actually like the iron clad toyamas, oh well.

From a practical perspective, SS makes more sense, but personally I like carbon cladding, and the stainless are 2,000JPY more than what the carbon clad were.

McMan, don’t know what happened to the op but I took your advice and bought Ashy’s wakui. Thanks!
It's a fantastic knife, Rick (thanks again!). It's pretty light and thin so I wouldn't call it a workhorse, per se, but it should do everything you need without issue. Wakui makes great blades and is amazingly consistent with F&F. IMO, his knives are THE BEST value around. Hope you enjoy it!

It's a fantastic knife, Rick (thanks again!). It's pretty light and thin so I wouldn't call it a workhorse, per se, but it should do everything you need without issue. Wakui makes great blades and is amazingly consistent with F&F. IMO, his knives are THE BEST value around. Hope you enjoy it!
Agree on the Wakui value proposition.

Mine is a Tsuchime and it's definitely a workhorse. Great knife.

From a practical perspective, SS makes more sense, but personally I like carbon cladding, and the stainless are 2,000JPY more than what the carbon clad were.
Agree

I would reckon those qualify as 240 workhorses:

Kochi Migaki 205g
Kochi KU 215g
Watanabe KU (with small spine change) 230g
Watanabe (with small spine change) 205g
Toyama 215g

35684434xq.jpeg

35684442zt.jpeg

35684435oi.jpeg

35684438me.jpeg

35684439yi.jpeg

35684440uo.jpeg

Thanks for posting this, extremely helpful!

If only those Shigehiro weren’t so short in the heel. They look so sick. But even the 240 is south of 48. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
Same, I like 'em tall and thick

I’m still looking myself. Probably going to grab one in the 240 eventually. And a 180 petty. Oh and probably the 270 suji as well. [emoji23]
Got you covered on the 270 suji, used a few times never sharpened, was gonna drop it off with Jon tomorrow, trade?

Sorry to derail!

Also sorry to sound like a broken record but Toyama has been my go to for years.
Beside that I'll forever regret gifting a KU kochi and today's Mother's Day brunch was conquered by a Heiji semi stainless. I rarely go full stainless but when I do I use a Mario Ingoglia

Same, I like 'em tall and thick

Got you covered on the 270 suji, used a few times never sharpened, was gonna drop it off with Jon tomorrow, trade?

Sorry to derail!

Also sorry to sound like a broken record but Toyama has been my go to for years.
Beside that I'll forever regret gifting a KU kochi and today's Mother's Day brunch was conquered by a Heiji semi stainless. I rarely go full stainless but when I do I use a Mario Ingoglia

Yeah man, let’s chat[emoji7].

Marko convex grind in 52100.
I really don't think he's an option*. There are plenty of fantastic makers out there.

*I have met him once, very nice guy. Had a chat with him over a beer. We discussed my custom order from January 2013. I am waiting for my custom ever since (that is more than 6 years). And we have all seen plenty of custom knives ordered (even years) later than January 2013... Contacted him again last September when he last posted some Honyaki blades here. As always, you write back and forth with him 2 or 3 times, we discussed my knife, he said "won't take me long". Haven't heard from him since September. Apparently he doesn't need my money, so I gladly spend it elsewhere.

Two 240mm Gengetsu avail on Reddit Chef Knife Swap. 1 stainless, 1 carbon. (I have no $$ interest in either)

I really don't think he's an option*. There are plenty of fantastic makers out there.

*I have met him once, very nice guy. Had a chat with him over a beer. We discussed my custom order from January 2013. I am waiting for my custom ever since (that is more than 6 years). And we have all seen plenty of custom knives ordered (even years) later than January 2013... Contacted him again last September when he last posted some Honyaki blades here. As always, you write back and forth with him 2 or 3 times, we discussed my knife, he said "won't take me long". Haven't heard from him since September. Apparently he doesn't need my money, so I gladly spend it elsewhere.

LOL, i got on his waiting list in 2012... bought a ready made ~2013...seen plenty of his knives... think he really doesn't need anyone's money... only sure thing here is bst.

LOL, i got on his waiting list in 2012... bought a ready made ~2013...seen plenty of his knives... think he really doesn't need anyone's money... only sure thing here is bst.
Yeah it is what it is. You can have knives ready in literally 2 weeks or 4 years from Marko. More often than not it’s the later.
Oh well, I’d rather focus on the guys that are really great to work with like the 9 and Kippington.

Kippington is my next custom.

What exactly is the 9 all about? Keep reading mentions but don't seem to see many knives? You rocking one?

@chinacats : FWIW, I've had a TheNine gyuto that I used then sold and have a honyaki on the way next week. They are excellent knives and Robert is a really good guy making nice stuff in Australia. I suspect he'll get more and more popular with time. His knives are already excellent. I'd compare them in terms of quality and overall style as similar to Joe at Halycon Forge or Trey at Comet, both superb makers.

All the OZ knife makers make really good ****!

Back