Big honkin’ base

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a big honkin’ stone. Awesome aoto, deserves some nice wood as well. Broke down hard and bought a miter saw. “Oh yeah, I love doing things by hand. It’s so satisfying!” Yeahhhh I’m terrible with a hand saw. I like my crow blue rare, please.
3B0555FA-BF7C-4427-9F15-F68F2BD997FB.jpeg

Loving the bevel cutting abilities, time to work on the under-hollow 🙂.

I also built the most laughable workbench of all time. As you can see I’m painfully, painfully bad at this.
3E9197B4-34A0-4AB6-8630-810CE4A37D93.jpeg

For a big honkin’ stone. Awesome aoto, deserves some nice wood as well. Broke down hard and bought a miter saw. “Oh yeah, I love doing things by hand. It’s so satisfying!” Yeahhhh I’m terrible with a hand saw. I like my crow blue rare, please.
View attachment 204529

I also built the most laughable workbench of all time. As you can see I’m painfully, painfully bad at this. View attachment 204530

I built a hard-working work bench at a different house out of 2x4 boards. The cost was cheap. The top was 2x4s turned on edge about 20 across. The legs were two 2x4 put together per leg. I added sheet metal on a part around the old Sears craftsman vice so I could weld using the vice.

I glued the top together and then planed it with my grandfather's old Stanley Jack plane.

The Sheet metal was the cheap stuff they use for roofing.

Last edited:
View attachment 204529

I also built the most laughable workbench of all time. As you can see I’m painfully, painfully bad at this. View attachment 204530
did you also built a base for your miter saw at the same time? Just teasing :)

Reactions: Pie

Oddly enough I bought a jigsaw thinking it’s what I needed. Most definitely not. I used it to hack up some planks and ghetto together that workbench - the miter saw base.

Which, I never thought of it that way, is hilarious. Base-ception, if you will 🤣

The saga continues.

24FF1F3C-7B93-4AF4-80DD-E725B1E52CE8.jpeg

Almost finished work bench. Just gotta add some leg trusses (??) support deal things because the legs are a bit skinny in one plane. Nothing to write home about but holy man can you ever clamp a piece of wood to this. Jeez so this is what I’ve been missing.

I’m pleasantly surprised at how solid it is.. I declined to follow any plans with the intention of having it be janky and using the issues to gain a deeper understanding of the why. Will absolutely apply some lessons learned here in the future.

39CC46ED-7532-4135-80BA-A3F901BDDCD7.jpeg

Slim fit oak, from the same color palette 🤣.

Last edited:
The saga continues.

View attachment 206049
Almost finished work bench. Just gotta add some leg trusses (??) support deal things because the legs are a bit skinny in one plane. Nothing to write home about but holy man can you ever clamp a piece of wood to this. Jeez so this is what I’ve been missing.

I’m pleasantly surprised at how solid it is.. I declined to follow any plans with the intention of having it be janky and using the issues to gain a deeper understanding of the why. Will absolutely apply some lessons learned here in the future.

View attachment 206050
Slim fit oak, from the same color palette 🤣.
Following @Carl Kotte's color scheme I see.

Nice job. It should work well for sharpening. If it is not solid and you are going push it against a wall then you can attach it to the wall studs. Attach an edge board to the tabletop flush with the top and screw or nail the edge board to the wall studs. I would probably use glue for the edge board to the tabletop. A bottom shelf would help using the bottom cross boards.

Trusses should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pie
I built a hard-working work bench at a different house out of 2x4 boards. The cost was cheap. The top was 2x4s turned on edge about 20 across. The legs were two 2x4 put together per leg. I added sheet metal on a part around the old Sears craftsman vice so I could weld using the vice.

I glued the top together and then planed it with my grandfather's old Stanley Jack plane.

The Sheet metal was the cheap stuff they use for roofing.
Here is mine. 2*4s I got from free from some kitchen remodel guys. The wood is framing that holds custom countertop pieces when they get delivered.
PXL_20221031_224738980.jpg

Back