bikes bikes bikes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today i fixed my coworkers hydro road discs. shimanos.
basically the lever went all the way to the bar, and he had very low power.

so i remove the caliper from the frame and pump the lever once. pads now move out a bit further and stay there.
reassemble. same problem.

investigate further. seems one piston is moving much further than the other. pump them out very far and clean the pistons with brake clean. then i push the "faster" piston in to try to get the sluggish one to move out. this works, and when i have that one out far i spray it with brake clean.

then i try to cycle them in-out a few times. and spray them a few times more with brake clean. when they are moving freely i drip one drop of oil on each one making sure it wont get on the pads.

then i set the distance i want the pistons sticking out, and assemble again on the frame. pump the brakes a few times and make sure its not rubbing.

done. now the lever wont go all the way into the bar anymore and both pistons move at the same speed. this took me about 10 minutes.

its BS like this that made me ditch hydros. long live the bb7! :)
They really aren't that bad, I had XTR's on my Turner, when you start to have bad alignment problems with them you should check how worn the pads are, if the cylinders work their way out too far you start to have jamming issues, in the winter you've got to change your brake fluid, I used to hook a bleed bag on the nipple and it was done in a couple of minutes. In mountain biking if you are doing allot of downhill runs they are the only thing that's going to stop you.

They really aren't that bad, I had XTR's on my Turner, when you start to have bad alignment problems with them you should check how worn the pads are, if the cylinders work their way out too far you start to have jamming issues, in the winter you've got to change your brake fluid, I used to hook a bleed bag on the nipple and it was done in a couple of minutes. In mountain biking if you are doing allot of downhill runs they are the only thing that's going to stop you.

hehehe he never changed his fluid. ever. i would know since i'm the service department for this bike. it was just a case of general sticky pistons.
and while the pads were very worn. about 0,8mm left on each i'd say it still works. until spring at least.

he's getting new pads and a whole new drivetrain for me to install. i have absolutely zero problems with this since he drives me around whenever i need to go somewhere that requires a car. great guy.

i'm trying to sell him my de rosa frame. he thinks de rosa i the best brand out of italy. and i agree, its very good. there are 3 good italian steel brands. colnago, cinelli, de rosa. and thats it. and i know he always wanted a de rosa so i'm willing to let mine go. but i will have to replace it with a cinelli lugged one if he buys mine. as my bad weather "good bike" :) my colnago master only does sunny weather. and thats how it shall remain. :)

Interesting fixing hydro disk. This thread got me looking at new Road Bikes on line. They get pretty expensive fast with things you don't need like e tap wireless shifting. Heck I loved my bomb proof reliable down tube shifters on my Trek. When I was in my 50's was thinking training for another Cycle to the Sun. Did all 3 on my 22# Trek 1500. Red Aluminum bike. Was looking to upgrade to a lighter carbon rode a friend's carbon bike with the brake lever shifters took me awhile to get used to them.

Since I loved my old Trek so much, looked at some of the new ones. The Emonda SLR premium fast light bikes are pretty expensive.
6K to 12K. The Emonda SL 6 disk pro has a lot of features at 4,299.00. Aerodynamic frame, Utegra components. Bontrager Aeolus Elite OCLV carbon wheels. 17. 71# a couple pounds more for thousands less. Love the clean aero frame in red & black. It's worth it to pay more for the pro model. That is a serious climbing machine.

The Emonda SLR premium fast light bikes are pretty expensive.
6K to 12K. The Emonda SL 6 disk pro has a lot of features at 4,299.00. Aerodynamic frame, Utegra components. Bontrager Aeolus Elite OCLV carbon wheels. 17. 71# a couple pounds more for thousands less. Love the clean aero frame in red & black. It's worth it to pay more for the pro model. That is a serious climbing machine.

The introduction of electronic shifting really stretched the upper tiers of bike pricing. If you don't factor that in, pricing has been pretty stable for the last decade plus.

It used to be that $2k got you a decent carbon frame and Shimano 105. You're still in that region for rim brakes, but groupsets and frames are a little better, with "entry level" carbon frames today being better than the most of what was available, at any price, back then. It's a similar story when you look at other price points with Ultegra, DA, etc.

When you move to hydro discs (without the electronic shifting), that does kick up the price another $500 or so. Keep in mind, though, that we're comparing 2008 dollars vs 2020 dollars (with the shortages that we've been seeing, all bets are off in terms of pricing stratification in 2021), so we're probably talking about a price drop if we factor inflation.

Anyway, yeah, that trim of the Emonda sounds pretty nice - $4299 is a pill, but when it comes with nice wheels, as opposed to placekeepers that you'll only keep around as spares, it's a lot easier to swallow.

I had the Utegra system on my Trek. It was awesome many trouble free years. I rebuilt hub & changed cables, brake pads the bike was built so well it just kept going. Had a 53-12 top gear & a granny gear I installed rear cluster needed on windy very steep switch backs Haleakala mountain. I used to train on a mountain ridge near where I live, winding turns on the climb to the top, & nice down hill run on other side. Got so strong doing that never touch my granny gear. I sure needed it last last & hardest Cycle to Sun so windy 8K-10K feet up some 18 percent grades.

I thought the Emonda 6 disk Pro was a decent value because in early 2000's was looking at carbon race bikes that were in that price range already. It had Utegra, not carbon wheels, & rim brakes. Not knocking regular wheels & rim brakes at all. For most getting a 3K Trek with 105 system would be excellent choice.

I just appreciate upgrade to a true climbing bike. Noticed plenty reviews of Emonda SL 6 disk pro from around the planet. So it's a popular new model.

Perry I see that you have a Trek disk road bike how do you like it?

I just appreciate upgrade to a true climbing bike. Noticed plenty reviews of Emonda SL 6 disk pro from around the planet. So it's a popular new model.

Perry I see that you have a Trek disk road bike how do you like it?

The Emonda has been around for a while, slotted in as their lightweight climbing bike.

Basically, Trek has three main road bike lines, each with a slightly different focus, all of their names anagrams using the same six letters: Emonda (lightweight/climbing), Madone (aero/race) and Domane (endurance/long distance).

I had a Domane. Wonderful bike, I really liked it - it's a great bike for long rides over sometimes shoddy roads. With some good 30mm tubeless tires, it was magic carpet ride smooth. If you want to feel fresh after 100+ miles, it should be towards the top of the list. I ended up selling it as my focus changed a bit; I wanted something a little more twitchy and responsive for sometimes race-like group rides,

The introduction of electronic shifting really stretched the upper tiers of bike pricing. ....
An expense I'll happily avoid.

In half a century (time, not distance) of riding mechanically actuated gear changes, I've never had to recharge my cables before a ride or worry that I hadn't. And they've never lost power and defaulted to limp-home home in the middle of a ride. (I have, but not my derailleur cables.)

An expense I'll happily avoid.

I'm happy to avoid the expense for now, but I'd jump at the right price.

If user feedback is any indication, for most people, electronic shifting falls in to one of those "you can happily live without it, but once you experience it, you'll never want to go back" categories.

That and I have no romantic notions associated with mechanical systems. Sure, they're easy to maintain if you're not a dunce and there's no batteries to recharge, but you do need to maintain them. While I haven't had a dead battery put me in limp home mode, I have had to cut a ride short, limping to an LBS and then back home after the RD cable frayed and jammed the shift lever. Likewise, I've obviously had to do the regular maintenance, like replace cables that became gummed up, tweak finnicky derailleurs, and all of the other little issues that make shifts fall well short of crisp and precise.

Here my off roader
Traildonkey
20210105_142651.jpg

20210105_142323.jpg

With the warm and sunny weather, I was able to ditch the studs and gravel bike altogether and get in a couple rides on the road bike over the weekend. Not exactly a scenic pic, this was while I was waiting on the boys at a coffee shop, but here's the current state of the bike with the fresh new tires, trimmed steerer and cleaner/nicer mount for the tail light/radar -

R3 Resize.jpg

i took out my de rosa today for the first time this year. 90% of the gravel is gone here. but only 90%.

gonna take pic tomorrow.

https://www.menorcadiferente.com/rafal-rubi-navetas/In the mountains or if you have my legs:))
[/QUOTE

An island off the coast of Spain. Looks like a cool site.

The Orkney islands off Scotland have quite a bit of prehistoric sites. Europe has plenty old stuff. Going farther back Homo Erectus had walked out of Africa to spread out over much of the planet. Oldest site in Georgia southern
Russia about 1.6 million years ago. He had reached Spain close to 800,000 years ago.

Homo Erectus was a successful hominid. Was dominate species well over a million years.

Homo Sapiens been around 200,000 years so far.

IMG_20210427_084827544.jpg

Bone clones replica scull from site in Georgia
1.6 MYA. A real stone chipped hand axe the longest single tool used in hominid history.

Since one crash I looking for some nice handlebar. Now I think I know what I want ENVE G series but it's kinda hard to find in the EU at least for retail price (350$). It s very pricey and I'm one day yes another no. But whatever... I couldn't find anything else in the design like the ENVE...

Is the problem global? I know many bikes etc. are just sold so is it the same with components?

Also, do you know if ENVE running some sales from time to time?

Since one crash I looking for some nice handlebar. Now I think I know what I want ENVE G series but it's kinda hard to find in the EU at least for retail price (350$). It s very pricey and I'm one day yes another no. But whatever... I couldn't find anything else in the design like the ENVE...

Is the problem global? I know many bikes etc. are just sold so is it the same with components?

What is it that you like about the ENVE? Shallow drops, drop flair, reach, shape of the tops, etc?

ENVE is a high-end, boutique brand - they're going to be less widely distributed and probably more tightly controlled in terms of price. If you look at the offerings of other companies with great products, you'll probably have an easier time finding a deal. Depending upon what, exactly, you're looking for, I would also check out 3T products - they've got a pretty wide range of great bars and can often be found at a discount.

What is it that you like about the ENVE? Shallow drops, drop flair, reach, shape of the tops, etc?

ENVE is a high-end, boutique brand - they're going to be less widely distributed and probably more tightly controlled in terms of price. If you look at the offerings of other companies with great products, you'll probably have an easier time finding a deal. Depending upon what, exactly, you're looking for, I would also check out 3T products - they've got a pretty wide range of great bars and can often be found at a discount.

I like a combination of flair and that straight part under the breaks, so the shape...

3T stuff looks great but also very expensive... Could you just PM if you are hit by some discount I will check but still... :)

I have the 3T Ergonova LTD on my bike. Super nice and comfy. You can find deals on the Merlin Bike website in UK (bought two 3T bars from them with a substantial discount).
I have ENVE carbon wheels and seat post so I can understand the appeal of the brand.

ENVE is a high-end, boutique brand - they're going to be less widely distributed and probably more tightly controlled in terms of price.
In 2016 Enve was acquired by Amer Sports, the same company that owns Mavic, so production and distribution are growing.
I have ENVE carbon wheels and seat post so I can understand the appeal of the brand.
You need the bike...
https://abovecategorycycling.com/blogs/journal/unveiling-the-enve-custom-road

3T stuff looks great but also very expensive... Could you just PM if you are hit by some discount I will check but still... :)

Check with some of the European sellers, assuming that they'll sell/ship to you. Merlin Cycles, Pro Bike Kit, Lordgun, etc.

no no
no no no no
no no no no
no no there's no carbon :)

here is my "maybe it will rain later today" commuter.
this is the only thing de rosa actually makes in italy anymore, handmade by skilled craftsmen. well maybe the Ti frames too. i dont know.
really like this frame. its so smooth, its like riding on a cloud. it just sucks up all the bumps. even with 7-8bar in the tires.

the wheels are kinda good i think. spent 100-120 or so € for the set at chainreaction. rs010 i think. had to detension them a bit though. its the cheapest shimanos you can get. but they are quite flexy from side to side. only 24 spokes in the rear. i build my own with 32. and those dont flex at all. but hey if i build from scratch just the cost of the spokes and nipples is almost the same as this whole set.. of course i tore the hubs apart and filled them with molykote. you have to put them in the truing stand too if you want them to last, to get equal tension. also these nipples were loctited, which i dont like.

derosacommuter1.JPG

derosacommuter2.JPG

how it looks from the riding position. xtr 9sp. fuk yeah.

derosa cockpit.JPG

and yes for those why are wondering. why the ultra short stem?
well time trial bars build a lot more forward than regular road bars, and these specific ones build even more. maybe 2-3cm.
so you have to compensate with a shorty stem. to prevent getting reeeaaally stretched out.
and i dont like short frames. since i dont like toe overlap (i always riode with regular shoes). so i will always go for long and run a short stem anyway.

in the end it doesn't matter if the stem is short. the only thing thats important is where your hands end up. it behaves just the same as a longer stem and regular bars.

yeah its no beauty queen. its a lot sleeker in reality. i guess the rear fender dont really help either. :) i just got tired of getting my ass sprayed with road crap when it rains. but hey what can i say, its a budget build without resorting to crap parts. this is the cheapest bike i've ever built. and i think its the bike i like the best since it wasn't 5-6 grand. its my beater and it has to be (at least slightly) practical.

end of disclaimer. i love it. its fast. its good. its durable. its comfortable.

Not that anyone gives a rip was going through old photo albums with my brother I've thrown away plenty photos. Who put pictures in albums anymore?

Wanted to save some & get a digital record of old photos & Alfa's my brother has restored.

Got these old photos of my trek on work stand
Repacking hub & changing rear cluster.

Finish line of 1992 Cycle to the Sun. Most extreme conditions by far. 40-50 mph winds, sometimes directly in your face up steep switchback climbs. Was last one I did. Not my fastest time, but my best ranking in Masters division 40+ was 43 year old. High above cloud level at 10,000 feet. Totally spent sunglasses hanging down. Switching to higher gear after climbing last 17% climb wind in face in granny gear.

IMG_20210709_201912076.jpg

IMG_20210709_202522444.jpg

Finally got my hands on a Team Sc. Littlle bit of history amongst a sea of Taiwanese carbon.

Attachments

• 20210705_161834.jpg
    20210705_161834.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210705_161653.jpg
    20210705_161653.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16
Is that Merckx aluminum? They are not made anymore he sold off his bike business. Nice bike.

My trek was aluminum 22# Ultegra components 900.00 new. I rode the crap out of it. Never any major problems.

Is that Merckx aluminum? They are not made anymore he sold off his bike business. Nice bike.
Yeah Merckx is Aluminium, or Aluminium/Scandium blend, Easton 7000. Haven't had a chance to ride it as it literally turned up a few days ago but heard nothing but good things.

Back