BOMBA rice is the..well..bomb?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
had friends over last night..they showed up from Denver looking for good weather. nope..spirit crushing rain right now.

so we cooked in.

dug deep against my Chinese roots and resisted all the snarky comments flying around in my head about a $10.99 2.2lb bag of rice :). i'm sold!! it is the gold standard for a paella rice..great final grain texture and it crusted great on my pan.
oh, i am never buying a paella pan. i did great with my 12" alclad skillet. (on my stovetop). i am not against putting that pan on a charcoal grill.

i'll try to post up a pic tonight. no photobucket here at work allowed. finally got to use some saffron my stepdad left me in his will. haha..love that man!!

It can also absorb three times its weight. I use it all the time in paella, not easy to find so I'm forced to order online.

cQ667ui.jpg

I always pretend I'm doing my family a favor by eating the part with the burnt bottom :biggrin:

A lot of people in Valencia prefer the Senia variety, although it is a little less resistant to over-cooking, it should be cheaper too. As a general rule if the package says "denominación de origen Valencia" and does not specify that it is the BAmoba variety, it should be Senia

Made paella last night. Bomba, soffritto with tomatos, browned off chicken thighs, chorizo, layered Up with verges and seafood and finished in oven. The crusty rice was great . Really absorbed so much stock and water. Saffron made a real difference.

is there a good online retailer to purchase said bombass rice?

Ok so I want to take a stab at paella. Do I need a dedicated pan or will a well seasoned lodge do the trick? If not please suggest a decent pan for a home cook. Thanks folks.

A paella pan is nice but certainly not necessary. Just remember that you will be cooking something acidic for a long time, so you might lose some seasoning on your pan. A traditional carbon steel paella pan is very cheap though.

Good point on acid. Any recommendations on a pan? I'd prefer good cookware as I am fortunate to be at a point in my career where I can spend a little more on my passions.

i'm no paella pro. quite the opposite. but i love the versatility and variables of the dish. i focus on getting it right and less the ingredients...

here is the pic i owe you guys.

"I'm no paella pro"....understatement of the year.

A lot of people in Valencia prefer the Senia variety, although it is a little less resistant to over-cooking, it should be cheaper too. As a general rule if the package says "denominación de origen Valencia" and does not specify that it is the BAmoba variety, it should be Senia

thanks for this. i think i found some.

Latest posts

Back