Budget western stainless 180mm gyuto: Misono, Takamura, or...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a western handled stainless 180mm gyuto. It will be an Xmas gift for my daughter, she just left to live by herself with some friends and she always appreciated my knives.
She really likes my Misono UX10 180mm but these are just so expensive now.
Sharpening by daddy every few months I suppose.

Available (to me) candidates:
Misono 440
Takamura VG10
Takamura R2 (red handle).

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!

The Misonos come these days far too fat behind the edge OOTB. A bit problematic with a present, I guess. Exactly the same with the K-Sabatier 200 series in 14C28N.

Bang for buck Takamura r2 is tough to beat. Grind, steel, and performance are all top notch for the price.

They are bit chippy with the factory edge so if you go that route maybe throw on a new edge for her before you gift it.

Or even better yet get her a stone too. Dad can show her the ropes on how to sharpen now that she’s out on her own. That said, maybe you want to keep an excuse to have her come home more often!

Although it is kinda odd to gift used stuff, i personally would consider leaving your ux10 to her. But that's me.

I would guess the takamura is more knife for the money than the ux10.
Takamura 180.m R2 option
As the daughter is going to live with friends don't expect the knife going to be handled by these friends with more care than, say, a wooden spoon.

As the daughter is going to live with friends don't expect the knife going to be handled by these friends with more care than, say, a wooden spoon.
Very true but not easily solved.
I would try to communicate (very old-fashioned I know) that nobody touches that "gifted knife" and suggest getting a common chef knife for all. If she got the knife bug from dad, she could start learning to sharpen on that one or at least care for it with a ceramic hone or so.

Thanks! I had the Masutani in my hands but wasn't sure if it didn't focus too much on bling.
Haha, no I think she will take care.
But can't be 100% sure. Hence the western handled stainless preference, can stand some abuse.
Masutani would be great for this. It's thicker than the Tak R2 so it will be more likely to survive. Also looks awesome.

I'd also recommend the Masutani here, opting for the santoku profile for additional blade surface area for garlic smashing and transferring cut up stuff. Good geometry and durability for a price that wont break the bank.

I'd also recommend the Masutani here, opting for the santoku profile for additional blade surface area for garlic smashing and transferring cut up stuff. Good geometry and durability for a price that wont break the bank.
Yeah it’s pretty good, I have one as a guest knife, this is their 180mm “gyuto”
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0931.jpeg

Back