Budget western stainless 180mm gyuto: Misono, Takamura, or...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're still thinking about a Misono 440 — as I would tend to encourage — why not having a look at Duikelman, Ferdinand Bol / Gerard Doustraat?

ashi hamono 180mm swedish gyuto. normally sold by bluewayjapan on ebay. OEM for the Gesshin Ginga (although the gesshin has higher heat treat and better fit and finish)

I love the takamura 180 and have it in both r2 and vg10. Actually prefer the vg10 version - cuts the same, easy to sharpen, no chippiness. MAC HB-70 is a great option for something cheaper and tougher.

I'd also recommend the Masutani here, opting for the santoku profile for additional blade surface area for garlic smashing and transferring cut up stuff. Good geometry and durability for a price that wont break the bank.
Be careful smashing your garlic with your knife as you will bend it over time. Almost every knives that I sharpen has a bent tip from garlic abuse. Also when you smash the garlic you release the flavour of the garlic, if you cut it finely with a sharp knife you can retain more flavour for your dish.

Be careful smashing your garlic with your knife as you will bend it over time. Almost every knives that I sharpen has a bent tip from garlic abuse. Also when you smash the garlic you release the flavour of the garlic, if you cut it finely with a sharp knife you can retain more flavour for your dish.
I'm a little confused here. Maybe if you swing your knife like a hammer or something, but is that how people normally do it? I place the flat part of the blade on top of the garlic, then press down directly on top of it with my weight. I cant see that causing any permanent deformation to the blade, even if done say, 1000s of times.

I think when people ruin the knife with smashing garlic it's because they had some part of the handle still on the board. As long as you keep the entire handle off the board I don't think it's a problem.
Releasing the flavor is the whole point and can actually be desirable - you need to actually bruise cells to develop certain properties in garlic. The taste comes out different when you just cut it finely with a really sharp knife.

Solution. I buy my garlic pre-sliced in a small jar--and spoon it out into my sauces. No possible damage to my knives. Once in awhile, I fine slice a peeled clove or two just for fun--or testing/comparing.

I'm a little confused here. Maybe if you swing your knife like a hammer or something, but is that how people normally do it? I place the flat part of the blade on top of the garlic, then press down directly on top of it with my weight. I cant see that causing any permanent deformation to the blade, even if done say, 1000s of times.
Most knives that come through my sharpening shop have a bend from garlic abuse, I do a little magic trick where I tell them if they are left or right handed depending on which way the knife bends.
San Mai blades bend easy, carbon monos bend with a bit more force, mono stainless bends over time and is a Pitta to straighten.
@Jovidah has a great point with flavours and different techniques of preparation, I use different techniques for different flavour release ( whole not peeled/whole peeled/ crushed with something that's not a knife/sliced /diced/confit etc.)

Back