Canned Cream of _______ soup. ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
my wife sent me a some chicken and rice casserole and asked if i can make it. i looked at the recipe, and it uses instant rice and canned cream of chicken/mushroom soup. both ingredients i have never used in my life.

for sure, i am using regular rice. i'm chinese. it is required in some ethnic by-law. haha.

now the canned soup. i am thinking saute some veg, and a flour roux? broth and creme? maybe i should have a backup pizza on speed dial. hah!!

thoughts?

I grew up with one of my aunts using can soups. My mom would make her own. Have any thoughts of looking at recipes?

You should have just answered 'yes, I can make it, but I won't'. ;)

IMO any can of “cream of whatever” can be subbed with a bechamel or voulette with the appropriate flavors (chicken, mushroom, etc). Usually the can stuff is pretty thick so I’d go a little heavier on the roux than if I was using it as a sauce.

my wife insisted we follow the recipe when she produce soup cans out of her purse.

I complied. it was like sucking on a bullion cube..the meal. hahahha... I know I can do better.

One word: Sabotage.
Then blame the canned soup.
Then make a version from fresh veg and chix stock.
Then never look back.

I made the green bean casserole tonight kind of using the bechamel sauce posted above less all the truffles. I steamed the green beans and caramelized some shallot's which I poured over the steam green beans. I used oyster and crimini mushrooms in the bechamel sauce which we added over the green beans and shallots. Then we baked it.

I made Pork Chops with Mushrooms Ragout a French dish. I had to try my new French copper pan. We washed it all down with wine. It all turned out nice. I used crimini and shiitake mushrooms for the pork chops which I browned in my copper pan. It did take a long time, a lot longer than I thought but my wife was a great help as I adapted it from a recipe I had read. It was late before we could eat. And we have leftover wine for another night that I used to de-glaze the pan.

It was a lot better than Campbell's cream of mushroom soup used in the green bean casserole. So, I say go for it.

Last edited:
Back