Canned Cream of _______ soup. ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
my wife sent me a some chicken and rice casserole and asked if i can make it. i looked at the recipe, and it uses instant rice and canned cream of chicken/mushroom soup. both ingredients i have never used in my life.

for sure, i am using regular rice. i'm chinese. it is required in some ethnic by-law. haha.

now the canned soup. i am thinking saute some veg, and a flour roux? broth and creme? maybe i should have a backup pizza on speed dial. hah!!

thoughts?

AT5760

Reaction score
If I was doing a scratch "cream of" soup, I'd probably go with a combination of chicken stock and bechamel.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I grew up with one of my aunts using can soups. My mom would make her own. Have any thoughts of looking at recipes?

Reaction score
IMO any can of “cream of whatever” can be subbed with a bechamel or voulette with the appropriate flavors (chicken, mushroom, etc). Usually the can stuff is pretty thick so I’d go a little heavier on the roux than if I was using it as a sauce.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
my wife insisted we follow the recipe when she produce soup cans out of her purse.

I complied. it was like sucking on a bullion cube..the meal. hahahha... I know I can do better.

McMan

Reaction score
One word: Sabotage.
Then blame the canned soup.
Then make a version from fresh veg and chix stock.
Then never look back.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I made the green bean casserole tonight kind of using the bechamel sauce posted above less all the truffles. I steamed the green beans and caramelized some shallot's which I poured over the steam green beans. I used oyster and crimini mushrooms in the bechamel sauce which we added over the green beans and shallots. Then we baked it.

I made Pork Chops with Mushrooms Ragout a French dish. I had to try my new French copper pan. We washed it all down with wine. It all turned out nice. I used crimini and shiitake mushrooms for the pork chops which I browned in my copper pan. It did take a long time, a lot longer than I thought but my wife was a great help as I adapted it from a recipe I had read. It was late before we could eat. And we have leftover wine for another night that I used to de-glaze the pan.

It was a lot better than Campbell's cream of mushroom soup used in the green bean casserole. So, I say go for it.

Last edited: