Carbon k sabatier in a pro kitchen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflife15

Reaction score
Curious if anyone uses this in a pro kitchen. I'm usually using Japanese gyutos at work but I was thinking about picking one of these up for giggles. It seems like they have low hrc. I'm curious how sharp they get and how often they need sharpening.

I am not working in Pro kitchen (home cook), but I have a carbon K sab. It is typically a knife to use with a honing steel. Before I cut something, I just put it on the steel one tine each side (less than 5sec altogether). I put it on the stone (wicked edge actually) twice on year at 1000. Super easy to sharpen.

You can get a fabulous edge on a sabatier, very fast, and the profile is perfect, but the edge won't last and it'll always be much more wedgy than a good j-knife.

Get a Misono Dragon for a profesional kitchen.
Becomes easily very sharp, hardness is good for every task.
It has 100% pure French profile, with a perfect tip.
You will not feel that you have moved from a French to a Japanese knife.
I prefer Masahiro Carbon metal bolster though, but you will feel strange maybe till you get used to it. At blue way Japan they describe the steel if Masahiro as ZCD-U, original carbon steel, 1,05 carbon, vanadium, tungsten, I think it is white 2, or something very very similar. I don't know which steel like more. They seem the same to me and I love them both, I think they are better than the Swedish Misono steel which I also like.

Concerning edge retention with carbons don't expect much, if you are cutting acidic foods among others as well,
But they are my knives of preference, because if you have a stone in the kitchen, with a touch up they become top sharp in less than a minute

You will be amazed by how they cut chives [emoji4]

They give Masahiro 58-59 hardness and Misono 60-61, but Masahiro is harder.

Both knives have perfect hardness for every task in the kitchen, you will find chips, or consider them soft

Edge retention can be greatly enhanced with a single sided micro-bevel. With soft carbons I cut them on a 2k stone. For sharpening and maintenance you can go up to 8k.

imgurl

Or consider a Herder 1922 chef's, Rc 60. Profile is very close to the French, tip is even lower than with most modern French blades. Grinding is much more consistent.

Yeah, I have a million j knives. I only wanted one of these for fun. Howeevr if they can't really hold it in professional kitchens I'll probably try something else

They will hold in a professional kitchen if adequately used and maintained. They have always been used in French professional kitchens. The knives Escoffier used were just as soft. They get crazy sharp because of their very fine grain.

You can get a fabulous edge on a sabatier, very fast, and the profile is perfect, but the edge won't last and it'll always be much more wedgy than a good j-knife.

- Definitively super sharp edge that is not lasting as long as in J-knives. I do not find that they are wedgy, more on the contrary actually.
- As mentioned micro-bevel helps
- As I wrote, it is a knife that is made to be honned regularly. Look at french chef, they just have a steel around them systematically.
- Those a re fun knife, IMHO

Sorry for the recommendations then [emoji4]

I d also like to correct what I had written: you will NOT find chips

Nothing wrong with your recommendations!
Please be aware that the French have a very pronounced distal taper.

Your ceramic rod will certainly do, but you may maintain it at a much higher level of refinement as well. Think a fine stone, or loaded leather.
Make sure to sharpen your new knife when it comes. Start behind the edge with a coarse stone. Ignore the existing factory edge.

I would have chosen a larger one.

I havent purchased it yet. I work in fine dining so I usually have a 210mm gyuto that handles my knife work. I was gunna get the 8 inch because its similar.

I should have said that the distal taper is very pronounced with old French ones, not so much with recent ones.

Wouldn't use one for a heavy ass prep day, but for a day where you are light on prep Sab is fine and nice change of pace. Have a 10 inch chef, 6 inch petty and a nogent parer in my rotation (be it the bottom of it). You can beat the **** out of them without trepidation or remorse and they take a killer heavy patina.

"Please be aware that the French have a very pronounced distal taper."

I guess it comes from the good food...

Or consider a Herder 1922 chef's, Rc 60. Profile is very close to the French, tip is even lower than with most modern French blades. Grinding is much more consistent.

Really good alternative! Edge retention and geometry are decent. Only sold mine because of the bolster.

How about not so classic K-Sabatier? The 200/8 line?

Quite decent stainless steel with not so bad edge retention and good robustness, ok geometry, interesting profile (please avoid the ebony handles due to f&f issues with the wood!).

Regards, Iggy

There's the bolsterless 7in, antique forged.... just the handle looks boring.

Anyone got the 6 inch nogent? Looks so much like a large petty in the pictures for some reason, is it usable as one?

I use Herder 1922 and some old DICK Carbons at work..... Especially when it goes to the evil old plastic cutting boards, they kick nearly any steels butt! (steeled any hour ;)).

Greets Sebastian.

I have a 10' Sabatier K au carbonchef knife and I love it - it is my beater knife at home (home cook only) and I am not afraid to abuse it. It holds its edge nicely as long as remember that it is a "soft" steel - usually I will stop on a soft takashima and then I strop it on a leather strop before using it.

The bonus for a pro-kitchen is the low reactivity :)

As for the finger guard, it is annoying but personally i dont care so much (yet). If someone doesnt like it, you can always remove it - maybe with a file (to avoid over heating)

V

Latest posts

Back