Carbon Steel vs Stainless steel Lavine says

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew44

Reaction score
I recently got the knife expert Bernard Lavine's Guide to knives

in it I read this and its made me think why is carbon seem to be more sought after and valuable?

"modern stainless steel knives, when properly sharpened, are superior in use to all older knives, even the very best. Stainless steel can be made at least as sharp as carbon steel, they stary sharp longer & do not stain"
"they are more interesting to collect, but anyone who thinks they are better and modern stainless is fooling himself"

do most people feel that way?

No, and I say that as someone who truly loves his Devin in AEB-L,

Devin and a few other knife makers can, for example, make AEB-L that can be as sharp as white or super blue, but even Devin's AEB-L isn't as easy to sharpen as white or super blue (although it isn't *that* hard to sharpen it well...)

This reminds me of the old school technique demonstrations you see at Sur la Table every weekend.

First, define "superior." Yes, my Devin and Ealy in AEB-L can be as sharp as any of my carbon knives, they do not stain, and they probably keep an edge longer.

They are also harder to sharpen (just), do not interact very well with Japanese natural stones, and just don't feel as organic as my carbon knives.

You are going to spend a bunch of money to get a SS knife that performs as well as a much less expensive, and prettier, carbon one.

Well, you can either believe this or get yourself a few decent knives made out of SS and high carbon steels and feel the difference.

This is a daft debate. It is a bit like saying that blondes are better than brunettes and that redheads are best of all. I have numerous carbon of various steels and numerous SS of various formulations. They are just different. Each has pros and cons. We can enjoy both. We can learn to use, sharpen and appreciate both. They are after all just tools.

This is a daft debate. It is a bit like saying that blondes are better than brunettes and that redheads are best of all. I have numerous carbon of various steels and numerous SS of various formulations. They are just different. Each has pros and cons. We can enjoy both. We can learn to use, sharpen and appreciate both. They are after all just tools.

Blablalba. Just admit that blondes are better!

Gather up the women and children and lock all the doors. Chinacats is coming....

:lol2:

I've got nothing to add other than to question who the **** is Bernard Lavine?

I recently got the knife expert Bernard Lavine's Guide to knives

in it I read this and its made me think why is carbon seem to be more sought after and valuable?

"modern stainless steel knives, when properly sharpened, are superior in use to all older knives, even the very best. Stainless steel can be made at least as sharp as carbon steel, they stary sharp longer & do not stain"
"they are more interesting to collect, but anyone who thinks they are better and modern stainless is fooling himself"

do most people feel that way?

I would prefer modern jknives made with swedish stainless, skd, ginsanko etc etc...over vintage french, german, and US carbons for sure. No right or wrong answer I suppose.

Let's consider knives under $250 for example, so mass market knives, not semi-customs like a Devin ITK.

If one likes the profile (I do) then the Kramer in what is probably AEB-L or for a more standard profile, the Gesshin Ginga are about as good as it gets, they are about $250. The Carbonext sucks out of box but sharpens pretty well - if you know how to do it. It is roughly half the price ($128) of the stainless ones I mentioned and is certainly a rather nice semi stainless. The Masihiro in virgin carbon is a wonderful knife IMHO, has pretty good F&F and even a reasonable edge OOB and I just bought another one on Rakuten global delivered for a bit under $100 (and then there is the Misono dragon which cost roughly what the carbonext does when ordered from Japan.)

So it seems to me to get a stainless roughly of the same quality as a semi-stainless you are talking twice as much and closer to 2.5X than a carbon of the same quality....

And carbons sharpen *much* easier than AEB-L or even the carbonext. Sometimes I start thinking all I have to do is show my dragon the finishing stone and it is razor sharp :)

Why are you still beating this dead horse? Some of us prefer high end stainless and some of you prefer mid end carbon. I won't call you an old foggie if you don't call me stupid. End of discussion. Move on.

Tim

Why are you still beating this dead horse? Some of us prefer high end stainless and some of you prefer mid end carbon. I won't call you an old foggie if you don't call me stupid. End of discussion. Move on.

Tim

OK, but you're the one who equates high end stainless with mid-grade carbon :)

And that sounds about right to me...look, nothing wrong with nice stainless (if you for some reason require it) but it just doesn't compare...let alone as the book suggests that it is better:scratchhead:

And feel free to call me an old fogie...not so sure about Panda:lol2:

I should mention that my one real piece of stainless is finally starting to take on the prettiest blue patina on the cladding:O

I should mention that my one real piece of stainless is finally starting to take on the prettiest blue patina on the cladding:O

What a coincidence. My Shig is finally starting to lose the ugly yellow/orange after cutting an onion last month:cool2: Did I mention how much I hate the smell of BKF?

I am definitely not an expert but:
1. Based on many readings including this forum it appears that modern stainless including PM is objectively superior to any carbon in most of the applications.
2. From my personal experience with several of each I tend to agree with the point 1
3. My next knife will be carbon and most likely iron clad

Nothing beats the patina developed on carbon knives :)

I find the retention of blue super pretty good. There may be a modern stainless steel that beats it regarding edge retention, but the combo sharpness/edge retention of a well treated blue super kitchen knife is amazing in my opinion. Like R2 and aeb-l as a modern stainless representatives, but haven't used them long enough to assess them though. So far they are very nice, but i'm a carbon guy.

That is pretty funny asking who Bernard is. :) If you were on a couple of other cutlery forums you would get chopped off at the knees for not respecting the "all knowing one." His fans have no time for those that don't agree with him. I'll be seeing him at the Eugene show in a couple of days which always makes for an interesting conversation.
As for stainless versus carbon, it seems to me the sharpening skills and equipment of the individual evaluating the knives is probably just as important as the steel.

Of course it's a daft debate...RED HEADS ROCK!

ahem...just my opinion of course

That is pretty funny asking who Bernard is. :) If you were on a couple of other cutlery forums you would get chopped off at the knees for not respecting the "all knowing one." His fans have no time for those that don't agree with him. I'll be seeing him at the Eugene show in a couple of days which always makes for an interesting conversation.
As for stainless versus carbon, it seems to me the sharpening skills and equipment of the individual evaluating the knives is probably just as important as the steel.

interesting conversation > how did it go?
yeah for an expert I'm dissapointed he's only published 1 chapter on kitchen knives

Went to a knife show today mostly Tactical & Hunting blades. I doubt that many of these knives are ever used in the field. 400.00 to 3,000 per knife on those tables.

Brunettes:whistling:

I agree with a lot of Chad Wards observations, but his statement about Carbon knives not as good as Stainless in production kitchens is hearsay not experience. Carbons work well when used a lot, easy to sharpen, take a fine edge. When I switched to carbons in 1982 the best stainless in my experience at the time were Forschners. Using Japan carbons my Forschners collected dust.

Now retired I have more quality stainless. My carbons do not do well at all sitting around not being used for hours a day. Have a couple Japanese stainless cleavers I like a lot. Thinned the crap out of my SRS-15 gyuto. That steel will get as sharp as you want to take it.

Still have a weakness for Handforged Japanese carbon kitchen knives:happymug:

Andrew and Keith. Bernard only published one chapter on kitchen cutlery and the show was mostly tactical and hunting (I know most of those makers on a first name basis) for the simple reason the average knife collector could care less about kitchen cutlery. More than one has told me they see cooking as just "women's work." I've laid out a table full of the best in kitchen cutlery only to find the few that even stopped to look seemed to think you should toss them all in a big box with a sign saying "your choice, 50 cents each!"

Andrew and Keith. Bernard only published one chapter on kitchen cutlery and the show was mostly tactical and hunting (I know most of those makers on a first name basis) for the simple reason the average knife collector could care less about kitchen cutlery. More than one has told me they see cooking as just "women's work." I've laid out a table full of the best in kitchen cutlery only to find the few that even stopped to look seemed to think you should toss them all in a big box with a sign saying "your choice, 50 cents each!"

Put a 360mm Yanagiba in the middle of all the kitchen knives and see if any one reacts to it.:knife: I think size matters there.

I don't get the point of "tactical" knives. You want to chop wood/tree, a small axe does the job better, clearing a bush, a machete does way better, and they are very cheap and almost disposable. A sharp machete can even be used to kill and skin an animal, they just need to know how to sharpen stuff.

Those 'tactical' stuff are just cool looking.

Back