Chef's Knife/Gyuto for my big handed roommate.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my roommate a nice all rounder chef's knife for his birthday. In general he likes simple well made Japanese stuff (key chains, pocket knives etc.) so I'm looking primarily at Japanese knives but I'm not sure I'll be able to find anything that quite fits the niche of what he needs for the following reasons:

1. He's a big guy with big hands, thus I think most handles on J-knives, even western style might be uncomfortable for him.
2. He's a lefty (not sure if the knife having a 70/30 bevel out of the box would be a problem in this regard--also I'm willing to try and adjust the bevel on my stones for him, although it might be slightly above my skill level).
3. He's a bit careless in the kitchen so he needs some stainless and sturdy.
4. He pretty much only rock chops--we have a decent quality santoku in the kitchen but its very flat so he's always reaching for my beater western style knives that have more curve to them.

Those are my main concerns, and I've filled out the which knife questionnaire for further details:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chefs knife

Are you right or left handed?

Left

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Either if it would accommodate big hands.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

8 in.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Just basic home prep stuff--mostly slicing/chopping/mincing vegetables and slicing meats. We have other knives for more involved stuff like breaking down poultry and filleting fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

N/A

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

He primarily uses a hammer grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

He pretty much only uses a rocking motion. Sometimes he'll do this bastardized combo of a rock/push cut with the knife off the board but sort of using a rocking motion, not quite sure how to explain it, lol.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Simple aesthetics, handle comfort, able to take some abuse, decent edge retention as I'll probably be sharpening it for him. As long as it can last a month or two with semi frequent home use (making dinner ~3 times a week) I'm happy.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

N/A

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, I only have beginner level stones at the moment.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

With all that being said if nothing fits the niche but a western made knife, that's ok. I was originally thinking a Wusthof ikon, but I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable lot to see if there's something better out there that fits the bill.

McMan's post from Tuesday, though it was addressed to someone else, has several really good suggestions for someone who's left-handed and rock chops most of the time. (Solving the lefty question by mostly avoiding it, using western-style or western-ized knives.)

Last edited:
McMan's post from Tuesday, though it was addressed to someone else, has several really good suggestions for someone who's left-handed and rock chops most of the time. (Solving the lefty question by mostly avoiding it, using western-style or western-ized knives.)

Awesome, I'll check it out, thanks.

I think the Z Kramer carbon would be a good one here. They’re not too high-maintenance relative to other carbon knives and have a profile well suited to a rock chop motion while still being able to do everything else. I have large hands (for reference I can easily can palm a basketball) and the handle on my Z Kramer is the most comfortable of all of my knives. Unfortunately the MSRP is $299, but I frequently see the carbons marked down to $249.

I think the Z Kramer carbon would be a good one here. They’re not too high-maintenance relative to other carbon knives and have a profile well suited to a rock chop motion while still being able to do everything else. I have large hands (for reference I can easily can palm a basketball) and the handle on my Z Kramer is the most comfortable of all of my knives. Unfortunately the MSRP is $299, but I frequently see the carbons marked down to $249.

That's really good to know about the Kramer handles--I'm leaning towards the stainless Z kramer (per the thread David pointed me to above) that seems to have the exact same shape the z kramer carbon. Plus its 100 bucks cheaper :) I really don't trust my roommate with a carbon knife, even one that has relatively low reactivity... the things I've seen him put knives through *shudders*

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwil...MIq8-t8qa27wIVBdvACh1SsgRfEAQYAiABEgJUzfD_BwE

Back