chinese cleaver questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes when I'm sharpening a large heavy cleaver like a Moritaka when I go to sharpen the backside of the blade I'll flip the knife so the handle is facing up and just grip the knife at the spine so I can still use my dominant hand. I'll take some pics later if I remember

Sometimes when I'm sharpening a large heavy cleaver like a Moritaka when I go to sharpen the backside of the blade I'll flip the knife so the handle is facing up and just grip the knife at the spine so I can still use my dominant hand. I'll take some pics later if I remember
Mazaki, is that you?

please take some pics
also why does it help to do it the mazaki method instead of just gripping the handle ?

Its all about being able to put the right pressure at the right places.
If you can do that with the knive between your toes, do it. It doesn't matter.

Just have an open attitude in trying what works for you. Copying someone and holding to that doesn't expand the horizon.

Just have an open attitude in trying what works for you. Copying someone and holding to that doesn't expand the horizon.

The idea of "FAFO" has gotten a bad rap lately, but it's the most basic way of learning things: even before a toddler can ask a question, a baby already knows how to probe the world. Never forget how to be like a little baby. Especially when your hands are already covered in mud.

The idea of "FAFO" has gotten a bad rap lately, but it's the most basic way of learning things: even before a toddler can ask a question, a baby already knows how to probe the world. Never forget how to be like a little baby. Especially when your hands are already covered in mud.
F*** around and find out?

please take some pics
also why does it help to do it the mazaki method instead of just gripping the handle ?
I posted a video. It helps me because I have a hard time keeping a consistent angle on the backside if I just flip the blade normally and I'm not amazing at switching hands so it allows me to continue using my dominant hand and because cleavers are so blade heavy the weight of the handle not being in your hand is negligible. It works for me but definitely isn't the only way to skin this cat

Nice! Man, whatever you can make work with these beasts. I use the Bob Kramer sweep method on them. Really easy to lose your angle on these otherwise. Interested to see your photos.

Nice! Man, whatever you can make work with these beasts. I use the Bob Kramer sweep method on them. Really easy to lose your angle on these otherwise. Interested to see your photos.
what is the bob kramer sweep ?
video

I remember seeing it a long time ago
how does he develop a burr if he is doing edge leading and trailing?
the edge leading degrades the burr
Good question lol. I form the burr in my first sweep pitting pressure on the edge with my fingers like normal. On the other side I do the sweep edge leading and trailing. I assume the original burr is mostly removed, and you can visually account for stock removal on the back. End of the day there is a nice apex and it performs well in my opinion.

Here's a poorly lit photo but you get the idea. Bonus points if you can guess what's in the takeout container

Attachments

• 20221022_210521.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Here's a poorly lit photo but you get the idea. Bonus points if you can guess what's in the takeout container
what method do you use to sharpen this beauty ?
regular flip or switch hands or mazaki method ?

what method do you use to sharpen this beauty ?
regular flip or switch hands or mazaki method ?
The photo shows how I grip while sharpening the backside. I just grip it normally by the handle on the front

I should point out that I'm securing it by pushing up with the three fingers that are on the back and locking it in with my thumb and pointer finger

Latest posts

Back