Chinese natural.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldJoeClarke

Reaction score
Hey,
Couple of weeks ago it saw a C Nat on Amazon here in the UK. Claimed to be 10k.
Thought I would give it a go at £6.99, I had to get some other stuff to qualify for free postage but I needed a few things anyway.
Turned up a few days later, I made a slurry stone for it and got started. Pretty slow to begin with but improved after a short while. I finished up and I had a pretty darn good edge on Aogami #2 and Shirogami #2. I was impressed, not used a C Nat before so I have nothing to compare it to as such but the 10k claim did not seem unreasonable and the edge was sickly sharp. The stone is now performing better each time.
I posted this for those folks that are curious about natural stones and may want to have a go at a good price.
The stone I received was very flat and well finished and you get an anti slip mat and a small spray bottle in the box. Some sort of slate from the usual mythical place but who cares, it worked for me and didn't break the bank. Worth a punt?

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. I’m sure some jnat purists have some opinions but if it works it works right? Personally I haven’t quite gotten into the natural stones that provide certain finish qualities like Kasumi or whatever. And at this point I’m really only using monosteel like 1095 and 52100 so if it makes it sharp, it’s good for me. Got pics and links?

Link is in the post, just click on Amazon. It was just a bargain that I gave a shot to, as you say, if it works, it works.

that reads very interesting, I would be very interested in the stone for this price. unfortunately amazon uk does not deliver this stone to germany.
should anyone from the UK order the stone and would be ready for me to order one of them and send me the stone to Germany, then I would be very interested in it.

Is this the same thuing as the PHUG (Peoples' Hone Unknown Grit) / CHUG (Chinese Hone Unknown Grit) or is it different?

Just ordered one, its coming this Tuesday. Will report on its performance when i have it XD

Also different stated origin: "Chonquing Mountain" rather than Guanxi province. Chinahao lists some stones from Longshui town in Dazu district, in Chongquing municipality ("Chongquing Dazu Longshui"). I'll look for some original Chinese links.

Edit: Here's a Tabao link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406.0.0.cf7c4a8fssqeuw&id=44578657380

Last edited:
Is this the same thuing as the PHUG (Peoples' Hone Unknown Grit) / CHUG (Chinese Hone Unknown Grit) or is it different?

Gotta be pretty similar I reckon, price tag made me try it and it is very smooth though. Did think it was gonna be a knackered old chuck of rock.
See what iamdacow makes of it in a few days time. Does need a slurry stone to speed it up a bit.

Just got it today and did a quick polishing session with it. It's not 10k compared to my naniwa superstone 10k. However it does seem to me that it is somewhere between 5k and 10k I'm not very sure as i have yet to compare it to my 5k stone. Took a few pictures and you guys can judge for yourselves.

1st pic is the Cnat (05)
2nd Pic is the naniwa 10k (07)

Slurry wise, easier to create than my naniwa 10k
I have only polished the portion where the camera is reflected in the blade.

Attachments

• IMG_8305.jpg
    IMG_8305.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8307.jpg
    IMG_8307.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 117
Just got it today and did a quick polishing session with it. It's not 10k compared to my naniwa superstone 10k. However it does seem to me that it is somewhere between 5k and 10k I'm not very sure as i have yet to compare it to my 5k stone. Took a few pictures and you guys can judge for yourselves.

1st pic is the Cnat (05)
2nd Pic is the naniwa 10k (07)

Slurry wise, easier to create than my naniwa 10k
I have only polished the portion where the camera is reflected in the blade.

I've never used a natural stone—would this be a decent cheap intro to naturals?

I've never used a natural stone—would this be a decent cheap intro to naturals?
I haven't used natural stones as extensively as some of the members here so I can't answer that question.
But I would say for the price go for it though YMMV and its not gonna perform at the level of a 10k stone. But if you don't think that the stone is up to par, you could get a refund from amazon so no risk here. :)

The naniwa picture shows a finer scratch pattern for sure, I normally finish on a 6k synth and it seems higher than that but as I said, I don't have a 10k stone to make a decent judgement. I reckon that your test must put it in the middle of those figures thus awarding it the prestigious title of "Chug"

@DitmasPork yeah it is worth a go and as iamdacow mentions, refund it if you don't like it.

The naniwa picture shows a finer scratch pattern for sure, I normally finish on a 6k synth and it seems higher than that but as I said, I don't have a 10k stone to make a decent judgement. I reckon that your test must put it in the middle of those figures thus awarding it the prestigious title of "Chug"

@DitmasPork yeah it is worth a go and as iamdacow mentions, refund it if you don't like it.

I wouldn't have anything to compare it to, but it's so cheap I'll check it out to see where it takes me. The finest stone I have is Gesshin 6k.

@OldJoeClarke Yeah you are prolly right. Though for the price honestly I can't fault it. Tbh i was expecting in the range of 1-3k for grit rating but this turned out to be a pleasant surprise! Haven't used it to sharpen yet so cant comment but maybe I'll break it down and use it as finger stones if i manage to get a chisel somewhere.

Back