Christmas Gift Sets Ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say 225 gyuto (52100), 170 petty (52100), and 90-100mm parer (AEB-l because you work with it, and it's great stuff).

I find I hardly use my 240 gyutos anymore, and have been trending towards 210/220mm knives. Maybe that's just me(?)

I would agree with Lefty, though the main knife just because I have way too many 240's.

Any chance of getting a set with something like nakiri, honesuki, and petty/paring. Or two of those three.

So I need to narrow down to the types and length so, I was thinking these knives:

240mm gyuto
180 mm nakiri
275mm suji
75-80mm paring
135mm honesuki (optional)

AEB-L

Thoughts?

Those sizes look great for "us"... Something to consider is that these might become gifts for more "average" home users. You might add a 210mm gyuto option (less intimidating).

Those sizes look great for "us"... Something to consider is that these might become gifts for more "average" home users. You might add a 210mm gyuto option (less intimidating).

Haha, I was thinking Christmas gift sets for Ourselves!

So, would

210mm gyuto
250mm suji
80mm paring knife

be a good gift set for an average user?

Anyone else reading this thread interested in a set that contains nakiri, honesuki, and petty or paring? Or whatever 3 of those tickle your fancy so Marko can make 2 sets of them?

Anyone else reading this thread interested in a set that contains nakiri, honesuki, and petty or paring? Or whatever 3 of those tickle your fancy so Marko can make 2 sets of them?

I would love a set like that (Nakiri/Something/petty). I've already got a really nice western chef's knife on the way, but have been searching for just the right nakiri, and Marko's work is incredible. Assuming the price isn't insanity, of course. Although I'd probably be down for the set Marko listed a couple posts above, too. :)

I would love a set like that (Nakiri/Something/petty). I've already got a really nice western chef's knife on the way, but have been searching for just the right nakiri, and Marko's work is incredible. Assuming the price isn't insanity, of course. Although I'd probably be down for the set Marko listed a couple posts above, too. :)

Nakiris, petties, paring, suji and gyuto will be knives offered. Now I need to figure out length and wood options.

I would love to see some spalted pecan, other spalted woods, or blackwood.

Forgot to say with maple spalted burl or other spalted burls as well. Sorry for two posts.

Hi folks,
I am heat treating blanks for X-mas sets this weekend. I gave it a thought for a geometry and pricing, and here is what I came up with.

I will grind the knives thin convex, akin to Murray's knives

Steel is AEB-L.

Price is $1.5/mm with basic wood (cocobolo, ebony, ziricote) included in the price> Custom wood is optional but that might push the knife delivery after the New Year. You will be able to choose from a wide selection of stabilized wood: amboyna, koa, mazur birch, thuya, redowood among others. Most custom woods are AAA quality, exhibition grade.

The price for my ready made knives is $1.65/mm now, so the set price at $1.50/mm has a factored discount. A purchase of 2-3 knives are required to qualify for the the set price. So the types are: 225mm gyut, 165mm petty chef, 150mm petty, 250-275mm suji, 75-90mm paring.

The logo on these knives will be slightly diffferent - there will be an italicized Pro-Line added underneath New York. This way knives from this line can be differentiated from my custom knives.

Knives will come with octagonal handles.

AEB-L will be heat treated to 62RC (+/-.5RC), will sharpen easily with uniform burr formation and easy burr removal.

Back