Chukabocho - Sugimoto 6 vs Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the niche filled or I would try one, looks handy.

Also it’s a heck of a butcher cleaver. Split two cases of chickens right through the keelbone and backbone and still digs into the board and thumbnail! Barely needed a strop.

https://chuhamono.com/products/yu-kurosaki-aogami-super-cleaver-175mm?_pos=1&_sid=93bab0461&_ss=r

This Kurosaki on the same site looks more like a tall Nakiri, nice looking grind too.
Knives and Stones was selling that exact knife. Someone one here bought it and I can't remember the review

I have that knife, its a very fun knife, if you like nakiris and small chinese cleavers. Very very thin BTE though, very delicate especially compared to this Tanaka.

Loving the Ginga. Tanaka just got here today and I am surprised.

It’s definitely a S. Tanaka, full size 220x110. Not thin at all though, not ground like a Tanaka or actually any Chinese style cleaver I’ve seen. 660g and more like a Sabatier butcher cleaver. So I’m not sure if it’s a butcher cleaver, a heavy mincing knife or what but it’s certainly not an all purpose slicing knife. I’m going to see what uses I can find for it and consider having it drastically thinned by my local knifemaker; I’ve undertaken a few projects with stones that could have been more suited to a belt grinder but this one is definitely a no-go!

View attachment 73374 View attachment 73375

How thick is it at the spine?

Latest posts

Back