Cleavers help!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPoirot

Reaction score
I need input from more experienced members of this forum (everyone but me, basically)!

Whats the belly like on a cleaver such as a Suien or a CCK cleaver?

Recently i've gotten into handmade noodles (soba, udon, pasta etc) and my gyuto and yanagiba are not giving me the results i want. The obvious problem is the curve of the belly, giving me accordion cuts.

I've narrowed down to getting either a cleaver or a usuba for that task. Does that make sense? Do i need single bevels for noodles?

Since this is strictly a hobby only, i would prefer not to have to shell out for a unitasking menkiri, even though the Kurouchi Menkiri knife @ 80$ at JCK is mighty tempting.

Also, i just don't like the idea of a nakiri.

The belly on my cck clever is next to nothing. The edge is flat until approx 3-4 cm from the "tip" wich is only rased 2-3 millimeter over the cutting board. I have used it for nudels as well :)
- Kim

If your focus is noodles, get a menkiri and forget about cleavers. In addition to flatness, they are also longer. Probably 300mm vs 220mm length of a full size cleaver

CCK cleavers are pretty flat. The Suien (at least ones from the last few years) are not. I'd just get the menkiri. If you can't stand the single-purposedness of it, you'd probably find the larger CCK (the 1103, I think?) would work pretty well, and would do lots of other things, too.

Moritaka cleavers are almost dead flat! Ive had problems with big radious cleavers in the past, they accordion just about everything.

Great! I pulled the trigger on the CCK 1303. I figure if it didn't work out for me, then i'll spring for the menkiri.

Don't suppose anyone has tips about sharpening one?

Also, where can i get the guiding board those soba makers use?

Please post your results once you have had a chance to play with that thing. Thank you.

Jamie

Great! I pulled the trigger on the CCK 1303. I figure if it didn't work out for me, then i'll spring for the menkiri.

Don't suppose anyone has tips about sharpening one?

Also, where can i get the guiding board those soba makers use?

Back