Convex or S Grind Santoku makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to add a stainless or semi-stainless Santoku with a convex or S-grind blade, with Wa Oct handle, but having trouble finding options. Can anyone suggest makers or vendors that do the convex or S grind. I swear I saw someone talking about a S grind Santoku recently but searching for s grind is too broad. I did not see any on the usual vendors.

Thinking about going custom if need be, this knife is more about getting a stainless version with good food release for my wife. She has a habit of leaving my full carbon santoku sitting for long periods before cleaning then grumbles about the onion discoloration because I had to kill the patina build up becuase of her. Think I just finally got enough patina back on it after 2 months of her shenanigans.

Eddworks makes wonderful s grind at very affordable prices, he does aebl and S35VN for stainless. I've written a review on his nakiri, but he makes all sorts of shape, I'm sure he makes santoku as well. Send him a DM on Instagram.

Wakui's stainless-clad migaki line comes to mind, although your wife will still have to deal with a carbon core. Great convex-laser grind, though, with remarkably good food release.

Wakui's stainless-clad migaki line comes to mind, although your wife will still have to deal with a carbon core. Great convex-laser grind, though, with remarkably good food release.
Should I be looking at any particular site for a Santoku from Wakui? I have used Cleancut to buy one of his Gyuto's but have not seen a santoku. I still need to make the rounds on some vendors, as I forget which sites favor him.

Should I be looking at any particular site for a Santoku from Wakui? I have used Cleancut to buy one of his Gyuto's but have not seen a santoku. I still need to make the rounds on some vendors, as I forget which sites favor him.

I got mine off of a fellow forum-member. Looks a lot like this one: https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=95728
Carbon has the nashiji version, with a slightly different grind. And Bernal has one in V2.

Latest posts

Back