Cooking rice in the oven.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Friday we had a dinner party. I made Mexican rice. I started it all in the stovetop, and since I was warming the main dish in a hot oven, I just lidded the rice (sauté pan) and popped it in.
20 minutes later, I turned the oven down to warming, and started putting the meal together.

the rice was perfect. It was tender and not sticky at all. I’m gonna make Hainanese chicken this week, and I think I’m gonna do the rice the same way.

anyone?

When I'm doing bulk rice for catering or dinner at the old folks I like to use 6" 1/2 hotel pan. 2 parts water, 1 part rice (qty not important), maybe a sprinkling off salt and/or seeasoning. Bring to boil on stovetop and then covered in the oven for 20ish. Good rice, not great rice.

When I'm doing bulk rice for catering or dinner at the old folks I like to use 6" 1/2 hotel pan. 2 parts water, 1 part rice (qty not important), maybe a sprinkling off salt and/or seeasoning. Bring to boil on stovetop and then covered in the oven for 20ish. Good rice, not great rice.

would you do this regardless of rice type? do you use the same proportions for calrose, basmati, japonica, jasmine … ?

I really need to figure out this technique; if nothing else it sounds extremely convenient to do bulk once you have the hang of it.

I have heard rice develops bad bacteria quickly and you don't want to save cooked rice. Only if you are going to cook rice to a high temperature like fried rice. Is this true? So, I never cook extra bulk rice to save.

would you do this regardless of rice type? do you use the same proportions for calrose, basmati, japonica, jasmine … ?

For bulk prep like this, I don't use "exotic" rice. US Fude or grocery store - it's included jasmine but typically generic med or long grain.

To put on the fancy I get out the good rice and the rice cooker.

Last edited:
The danger with leftover rice is with people who don't cool and refrigerate it quickly (within two hours of cooking). Bacillus cereus is probably the main microbe of concern. Sushi rice gets a pass because it's vinegared.

The danger with leftover rice is with people who don't cool and refrigerate it quickly (within two hours of cooking). Bacillus cereus is probably the main microbe of concern. Sushi rice gets a pass because it's vinegared.
Just to add a bit more to this, the reason bacillus cereus is such a concern is that it produces toxins which are heat stable. So even if you properly reheat the rice, you can still suffer the ill-effects of the already-produced toxins which aren't destroyed by heating.

Last edited:
It appears this is not isolated to rice. Also doesn't sound terribly serious provided you're otherwise healthy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459121/

Introduction

Bacillus cereus is a toxin-producing facultatively anaerobic gram-positive bacterium. The bacteria are commonly found in the environment and can contaminate food. It can quickly multiply at room temperature with an abundantly present preformed toxin. When ingested, this toxin can cause gastrointestinal illness, which is the commonly known manifestation of the disease. Gastrointestinal (GI) syndromes associated with B. cereus include diarrheal illness without significant upper intestinal symptoms and a predominantly upper GI syndrome with nausea and vomiting without diarrhea. B. cereus has also been implicated in infections of the eye, respiratory tract, and wounds. The pathogenicity of B. cereus, whether intestinal or nonintestinal, is intimately associated with the production of tissue-destructive exoenzymes. Among these secreted toxins are hemolysins, phospholipases, and proteases.[1][2]
Go to:

Etiology

B. cereus is a common bacterium, present ubiquitously in the environment. It has the ability to form spores which allows it to survive longer in extremes of temperature. Consequently, it is found as a contaminant of various foods, i.e., beef, turkey, rice, beans, vegetables. The diarrheal illness is often related to meats, milk, vegetables, and fish. The emetic illness is most often associated with rice products, but it has also been associated with other types of starchy products such as potato, pasta, and cheese. Some food mixtures (sauces, puddings, soups, casseroles, pastries, and salads, have been associated with food-borne illness in general.[3][4]
Bacillus cereus is caused by the ingestion of food contaminated with enterotoxigenic B. cereus or the emetic toxin. In non-gastrointestinal illness, reports of respiratory infections similar to respiratory anthrax have been attributed to B. cereus strains harboring B. anthracis toxin genes.

This seems accurate.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...tain spores,that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.
Yes, you can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. It's not the reheating that causes the problem, but the way the rice has been stored before it's reheated.

How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. The spores can survive when rice is cooked.

If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

It appears this is not isolated to rice. Also doesn't sound terribly serious provided you're otherwise healthy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459121/

Introduction

Bacillus cereus is a toxin-producing facultatively anaerobic gram-positive bacterium. The bacteria are commonly found in the environment and can contaminate food. It can quickly multiply at room temperature with an abundantly present preformed toxin. When ingested, this toxin can cause gastrointestinal illness, which is the commonly known manifestation of the disease. Gastrointestinal (GI) syndromes associated with B. cereus include diarrheal illness without significant upper intestinal symptoms and a predominantly upper GI syndrome with nausea and vomiting without diarrhea. B. cereus has also been implicated in infections of the eye, respiratory tract, and wounds. The pathogenicity of B. cereus, whether intestinal or nonintestinal, is intimately associated with the production of tissue-destructive exoenzymes. Among these secreted toxins are hemolysins, phospholipases, and proteases.[1][2]
Go to:

Etiology

B. cereus is a common bacterium, present ubiquitously in the environment. It has the ability to form spores which allows it to survive longer in extremes of temperature. Consequently, it is found as a contaminant of various foods, i.e., beef, turkey, rice, beans, vegetables. The diarrheal illness is often related to meats, milk, vegetables, and fish. The emetic illness is most often associated with rice products, but it has also been associated with other types of starchy products such as potato, pasta, and cheese. Some food mixtures (sauces, puddings, soups, casseroles, pastries, and salads, have been associated with food-borne illness in general.[3][4]
Bacillus cereus is caused by the ingestion of food contaminated with enterotoxigenic B. cereus or the emetic toxin. In non-gastrointestinal illness, reports of respiratory infections similar to respiratory anthrax have been attributed to B. cereus strains harboring B. anthracis toxin genes.

This seems accurate.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...tain spores,that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.
Yes, you can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. It's not the reheating that causes the problem, but the way the rice has been stored before it's reheated.

How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. The spores can survive when rice is cooked.

If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.
Of course it's serious, it's right there in the name :p

Back