Could Kyuzo be Myojin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, we would want Myojin as a member, who wouldn’t? Hopefully that happens and he gets whatever help he needs.

Is there even real anonymity? I imagine this stuff is even easier for people in the business to figure out. I've also seen H&K commonly say a knife is produced by a "mystery blacksmith" but then re-share a story by a retailer saying who the mystery blacksmith is.
When I see a reseller claiming "mystery blacksmith" such as
Made in Sanjo by a "Mystery Blacksmith". I believe and knife collector will be able to tell you who made these.
I think about all of the counterfeit watches, handbags and other goods and wonder, are they simply alluding to a mystery blacksmith in order to sell something most definitely made by an imitator? Are they only "one step above" lying about who made the knife and creating "cover" for themselves so they can always say, "Hey, I never said this was a knife made by ..."?

I think about all of the counterfeit watches, handbags and other goods and wonder, are they simply alluding to a mystery blacksmith in order to sell something most definitely made by an imitator? Are they only "one step above" lying about who made the knife and creating "cover" for themselves so they can always say, "Hey, I never said this was a knife made by ..."?

The Japanese knife world can be very murky and there can be a lot of mysteries and mis-directions. It's a very different culture and it is impossible to try to view it through Western eyes.

Fortunately though, so far, it is not a world of cheats and charlatans of the kind that are so prevalent in other hobbies. Outside of some unscrupulous individuals/vendors (who typically get outed pretty quickly) you very rarely encounter a cheap knock off being presented as something else, or clones if you will.

There can also be a lot of manufacturing depth behind a name. For example, the smith whose name the knife is sold under may only be just that, the smith. It may well have a different handle maker and a different sharpener. And understand, in this context "sharpener" often means taking it from fairly rough forged form to final presentation.

A good introduction into this murkiness are the Watanabe vs. Toyama discussions that you can find here. Pay particular attention to @JBroida.

🥱

I’m pretty sure they implied Yoshikane, and in that case (Inazuma), it was not (although he did work there before).

There’s been a decent amount of “I think Myojin made this in BST” which is a shame. Often times, it’s “oh the grind is good so it must be Myojin” when it bears little resemblance to his named work, and there are plenty of other great sharpeners. In one case though, the vendor just lied. What it tells me is you can only really trust the higher tier vendors.

Latest posts

Back