Covid: the shape of things to come

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I DON’T

but the reason it matters is because in this "free marketplace of ideas" what actually happens is awful takes get equivocated to reality.

because, you know, "both sides" need to be heard. for some reason.

but the reason it matters is because in this "free marketplace of ideas" what actually happens is awful takes get equivocated to reality.

Perhaps you missed my point? I’m simply saying that after So many people dying, if the data isn’t perfect it doesn’t really matter. The fact is way too many people died and much of that was due to political bias, ignorance and misinformation.

The reason being that as soon as you decide that only one side has the “truth“ and that you, or your side is the only one that can be heard you‘ve committed the same sins you accuse others of making. All sides need to have an ability to be heard, wrong or right. We don’t want a society where a small group decides everything for everyone and no one questions anything. We want to be able to question even if wrong and misinformed, the ability to question and disagree should be there. It is less efficient and at times dangerous, but the alternative is much worse.

🦀🐙🐯🐻🐺🐷🐻‍❄🐼🦝🐘🦏🦍🐦🦆🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🦈🐟🐟🐟 we other animals say not enough human's died.
You make a compelling argument Keith. We are definitely the problem. Perhaps someday us humans will realize that and change our ways, but I doubt it. Too many of us think we have some sort of holy right to do as we please and every other animal on the planet is here for us to do as we please. It’s one of the most repulsive qualities of people who believe... I’ve said enough and I’ll leave it at that.

The reason being that as soon as you decide that only one side has the “truth“ and that you, or your side is the only one that can be heard you‘ve committed the same sins you accuse others of making. All sides need to have an ability to be heard, wrong or right. We don’t want a society where a small group decides everything for everyone and no one questions anything. We want to be able to question even if wrong and misinformed, the ability to question and disagree should be there. It is less efficient and at times dangerous, but the alternative is much worse.

The ability to question is one thing, I do not see ANY hurdle for doing so...dismissing solid information at face value or out of ignorance/dogma is something else and that is where I see the problem. It's not as if both sides at the 'opponents' table bring arguments of the same scientific weight to the discussion.
A German saying goes "in der Beschraenkung zeigt sich der Meister'...something along' through limitation/holding back the master reveals himself' or 'the master shows himself in the limitation' (second one is the translation I found, I do not think it is close...

Last edited:

um excuse me have you ever looked at a picture of the house of representatives?

also Im so tired of people "just asking questions". you're not asking a question if you aren't interested in listening to the answer.

the same people have been asking the same "questions" for two years.

and in this case, yes one side has a significantly greater claim to the truth than the other. the end.

The ability to question is one thing, I do not see ANY hurdle for doing so...dismissing solid information at face value or out of ignorance/dogma is something else and that is where I see the problem. It's not as if both sides at the 'opponents' table bring arguments of the same scientific weight to the discussion.
A German saying goes "in der Beschraenkung zeigt sich der Meister'...something along' through limitation/holding back the master reveals himself' or 'the master shows himself in the limitation' (second one is the translation I found, I do not think it is close...
I agree that just because everyone has opinions doesn’t mean that these opinions are of equal value. They are not. Opinions of experts on the subject are a lot more valuable and should be followed. This is not what I am saying. I am against silencing critique or not allowing questioning of experts. Dismissing solid information out of dogma is a problem, but if the alternative is to silence the ignorant then I’d rather they kept asking their questions. It is annoying and tiresome, but this is the price we pay for the ability to be able to do this. The alternative is worse, the proof is out there, right now. It is just too easy to go from silencing people from talking about the subjects they are not qualified to talk about to silencing them on other subjects as well. Unfortunately, experts and people in power have a habit of deciding that they know what is best for all and continuing with this line of reasoning even when they cross outside of their areas of expertise.

Interesting assertion, especially this week as we "celebrate" the two year anniversary of: 15 days of masking to flatten the curve.

What I don't understand is how anyone can not be a skeptic after this two year goat phuck.

This “both sides” need to be heard argument is so tiresome. By this logic, should legislating bodies have a pedophile caucus to impart their thoughts on public safety laws? I know my example is extreme but generally speaking, this “questioning if wrong or misinformed” no longer works in 2022 because when given actual facts (science, reliable sources), the other side does not concede but rather doubles down and/or cites complete nonsense because they were able to find it using Google or Facebook, or as @tcmx3 stated, it’s how they feel. If this was limited to subjective topics, which there are plenty of, I’m right there with you. But pertinent to this thread, you either understand/believe in science and mathematics or you don’t.

I agree that just because everyone has opinions doesn’t mean that these opinions are of equal value. They are not. Opinions of experts on the subject are a lot more valuable and should be followed. This is not what I am saying. I am against silencing critique or not allowing questioning of experts. Dismissing solid information out of dogma is a problem, but if the alternative is to silence the ignorant then I’d rather they kept asking their questions. It is annoying and tiresome, but this is the price we pay for the ability to be able to do this. The alternative is worse, the proof is out there, right now. It is just too easy to go from silencing people from talking about the subjects they are not qualified to talk about to silencing them on other subjects as well. Unfortunately, experts and people in power have a habit of deciding that they know what is best for all and continuing with this line of reasoning even when they cross outside of their areas of expertise.

I'm not sure this is really a free speech issue. Or maybe it is, but one should view it on a spectrum, starting with the uncontroversial "allowing individuals to speak their minds freely" and continuing to "allowing organizations to amplify false narratives to the point where a significant percentage of the country believes them." Anyway, it's not like I have any idea how to deal with this. I'm just a hack whining on the internet.

Interesting assertion, especially this week as we "celebrate" the two year anniversary of: 15 days of masking to flatten the curve.

What I don't understand is how anyone can not be a skeptic after this two year goat phuck.

I'd imagine most people here are unsatisfied with how the pandemic was managed, they just have varying ideas about what would have been a better way to respond to it.

We dealt with an unprecedented (well, in light of recent knowledge) pandemic...why is a strategy that seemed reasonable at the start of the pandemic now something strange? hindsight is always 20:20

I'm not sure this is really a free speech issue. Or maybe it is, but one should view it on a spectrum, starting with the uncontroversial "allowing individuals to speak their minds freely" and continuing to "allowing organizations to amplify false narratives to the point where a significant percentage of the country believes them." Anyway, it's not like I have any idea how to deal with this. I'm just a hack whining on the internet.

I'd imagine most people here are unsatisfied with how the pandemic was managed, they just have varying ideas about what would have been a better way to respond to it.
Free speech only exists between government and the populace, so it is not a free speech argument. We are not allowed to talk about all sorts of things. I am against all false narratives for political reasons or some agenda, but this is the world we live in. Like you, I don’t know what to do about it. It is becoming more and more difficult to figure out which organization or which experts to listen to. Everyone is an expert these days just because they read something on the web somewhere.

This “both sides” need to be heard argument is so tiresome. By this logic, should legislating bodies have a pedophile caucus to impart their thoughts on public safety laws? I know my example is extreme but generally speaking, this “questioning if wrong or misinformed” no longer works in 2022 because when given actual facts (science, reliable sources), the other side does not concede but rather doubles down and/or cites complete nonsense because they were able to find it using Google or Facebook, or as @tcmx3 stated, it’s how they feel. If this was limited to subjective topics, which there are plenty of, I’m right there with you. But pertinent to this thread, you either understand/believe in science and mathematics or you don’t.
We generally don’t allow criminals to participate in any discussions legislation or otherwise.

please see my above post about people who dont have an understanding of how these things are measured and should be listening, but go into absolute meltdown mode if you point that out, because the inspiration for that post is you.

there is significant evidence around masking. it outweighs your surface level understanding of the epidemiology of masking.

Come now... Honestly....

Nobody is being censored. By and large that is a paranoid beat up. People are generally allowed to (and do) spread whatever nonsense garbage they want. Including misogynistic, racist and homophobic drivel.

If you believe in informed democratic processes, it isn't so hard to arrive at the conclusion that debate in Government should be predicated on fact (or our best understanding of it). The only censorship that really should happen is at a political level and in mainstream media (tech giants have a lot to answer for). The more influence these bodies have, the more civic duty they have to keeping an informed discussion. If an individual wants to dive into some dank well of misinformation, let them follow their own confirmation biases.

Factual or empirical questions usually have definitive answers. These arent up for discussion (unless you are an expert in that community).
Moral problems or questions that require delicate trade-offs invite anybody to have an opinion - if they are honest about the discussion.

I have said this several times before. The difference between saying:
  • "climate change does not exist, so we dont need to do anything about it"
  • "climate change does exist... but I dont believe we should do anything about it"
is profound. People who say the first should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. People who say the second will get my respect for being honest but will disappoint me for lacking a sense of responsibility.

I would be pleased as punch if democratic governments implemented an integrity body that monitored political debate. If any representative is found to be spreading information that is known to be false they should be forced to redact their statements. If they dont, or they continue to spread misinformation, they should be thrown out of government.

Last edited:
Con Artist have always existed in the human condition. The internet has brought out them in droves trying to separate you from your money.

They have no morality just the old saying there is a sucker born every minute.

Alex Jones made plenty money with his media empire & selling snake oil diet pills estimated pulling in 10 million a year spouting insane conspiracy theories. When the parents who were targeted whose kids were killed in elementary school getting threats they sued Jones. When a guy was caught with a rifle who was going to a pizza place were Hillary Clinton
was sex fiend with little children. Only then did platforms remove Jones because he had large following they were making money.

There's two problems with this.

One: it creates a false sense of equivalency. Media has done a problematic job of reinforcing this by 'showing both sides' on a lot of issues even when there is no equivalency. Can you imagine if this was done during the second world war? Having a pro-democracy and a pro-Hitler person on a show because it would be too 'biased' to only show one side? Not all arguments are equally valid.

Another problem is that a lot of the 'arguments' are blatant propaganda pushed by foreign powers to destabilize other countries and hurt their interests. What better way to stop a superpower in its tracks than have it struggling with a disease and a million death for years because you manage to convince a significant part of the population that their own government is trying to poison them and stop them from taking preventice medicine? Divide and conquer...
Who do you think funded most of the advertisement pushing Brexit? Who do you think funded most groups agitating against shale gas extraction in Eastern Europe? Who do you think supports most of the polarizing 'nationalist' politicians in Europe that seem to have an agenda focused mostly on dividing their countries and undermining the EU?
Why do you think Tucker Carlson and other Putin-puppets sound such an aweful lot like Kremlin propaganda outlets?

People need to wake up to the fact that freedom of speech has been exploited for over a decade to fight an information war to undermine western interests.... the whole misinformation campaign around COVID is just another chapter.

I have said this several times before. The difference between saying:
  • "climate change does not exist, so we dont need to do anything about it"
  • "climate change does exist... but I dont believe we should do anything about it"
is profound. People who say the first should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. People who say the second will get my respect for being honest but will disappoint me for lacking a sense of responsibility.
Part of the reason the whole climate change debate gets muddied (deliberately) is that many parties simply have no interest in adressing this problem. For fossile fuel energy companies it's basically a giant threat to their bottom line. Similarly with countries relying heavily on on fossil fuel exports for their national income; for them 'reducing CO2' is basically a financial death sentence.
Then you have countries like Russia who actually stand to gain significantly from climate change. It means thawing out the northern route, making some harbors ice-free year round, thawing out permafrost turning some useless land into arable or otherwise exploitable land, changing the average temperature in a way that's likely to increase their total agricultural production, etc.
Contrary to popular belief we do not all share the same interests when it comes to climate change.

Part of the reason the whole climate change debate gets muddied (deliberately) is that many parties simply have no interest in adressing this problem. For fossile fuel energy companies it's basically a giant threat to their bottom line. Similarly with countries relying heavily on on fossil fuel exports for their national income; for them 'reducing CO2' is basically a financial death sentence.
Then you have countries like Russia who actually stand to gain significantly from climate change. It means thawing out the northern route, making some harbors ice-free year round, thawing out permafrost turning some useless land into arable or otherwise exploitable land, changing the average temperature in a way that's likely to increase their total agricultural production, etc.
Contrary to popular belief we do not all share the same interests when it comes to climate change.

I agree with you! But this is the crux of my point.

Society ought to debate about how it should respond to information... not stage a debate about the information itself.

Of course this is an oversimplification... Information needs to be verified. For big topics like climate change and epidemiology, new information is reviewed by appropriately qualified experts. If any published information is wrong, it self-corrects over time. We have had decades of scientific consensus on climate change. This is why I use it as an example. It doesn't matter that we don't all share the same interests... we have no option but to live with the same facts - whether we recognise them or not.

Fossil fuel companies? Countries relying on fossil fuel exports for their national income (I live in one)? Countries who stand to gain significantly from climate change? It is all the same... When asked about climate change, they are free to be honest about their motives and how they want to respond. Let the public judge them on their intentions. It is not an acceptable position choose an alternate set of 'facts'. Or hide their agenda behind misinformation.

Some scientist say that adaptation to climate change is part of the reason hominid's brain size increased. As planet keep going in & out of ice ages. Between last two ice ages oahu's sea level was 25' above present. You can see old weathered coral reef at Kaena point. Couple weeks ago when hiked out there had much improved since I was last there years ago. Some stupid high school boys from Punahou had killed quit a few Albatross cut off their feet
& talked on social media. They also destroyed many eggs. Now there is a ranger on duty to keep people from bothering nesting sites or getting to close to endangered Hawaiian Monk seals. They put up nice signage explaining history of the place, even Geology that I love.
IMG_20220308_103346681_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220308_102414777_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220308_111010792.jpg

IMG_20220308_103958587_HDR.jpg
IMG_1893.jpeg

Couple old animal lovers

Jen "actually doing anything useful is the most laughable idea I've ever heard" Psaki has contracted covid 19.

if only she worked for some kind of group of people who could do something to help address covid 19 instead of hammering every day on how they're not the last people and how everything is fine get back to work you drones. maybe we could call it a ministry? or an administration perhaps?

I don’t understand what’s trying to be said either. Jen is by far the best I have ever seen and I’ve been on this earth a long time

I fail to understand the meaning, is there any connection between someone getting Covid like 98% of the population by now has done and ANY administration anywhere ?

there is if the administration is acting like COVID is over and the priority is to get people back to "normal".

covid spending has been so deprioritized there is likely no purchase of 4th doses, there is no money for tests, the student loan repayment moratorium is going to expire, not even a whisper of another stimulus payment, no mask mandate...

might as well hoist a "mission accomplished" sign.

what Im trying to say is pretending this is over doesnt make it over. irrespective of what the Biden administration is signalling.

Never known you for irony or humor but this tickled the piss out of me.

FTFY

pretty sure at the 40% approval rating they just hit today suggests that people understand the COVID response of this administration is dogshit, too.

two administrations in a row are gonna go down in flames because they can't even do basic stuff right. frankly, this is embarrassing at this point. buy some tests and send them out to people. even the muppet across the water has managed that and he always looks like he's just been rained on.

also I joke all the time normally but there's a generation gap and most folks around here get mad at my jokes so I dont bother

As a spectator my analysis would be that a 2 party system is no longer viable in a society where individualism is predominant, nobody can get anything done with a 1 seat or so 'majority' and the things they CAN get done are bound to piss off about half of the population anyhow. Adressing Covid only works if the majority of people carry the measures, clearly there is a (I'd almost say a carefully orchestrated/fed) issue with that in the US.

Let's back to Covid, fact is that anyone not yet vaccinated has no use for a 4th booster and in many places 4th boosters are only recommended for a target population.

In my country as of today all restrictions are lifted, ICU admissions are on a downward slope for weeks in a row. Spring is here and all is well.....until the next variant of interest comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back