Cutting Board Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to specific recommendations for the OP... it's a bit difficult for me since I never used a Hasegawa and I live in Europe, so specific recommendations of stuff that's a good deal here is going to be utterly useless.
Personally I always advocate having a seperate board that's easy to clean for the more dirty jobs (meat, fish)... but material of that is flexible. Can be just a wood board that's easy to handwash but you can also go for a dishwashable option. That way your big board can get away with just getting a rub with a wet paper towel and you'll have to oil it far less (if you go for a wood option).

I feel you on not wanting something that's a pain to wash, but like HHC I do see significant benefits in having a larger board... so that's a tough one. Even with Hasegawa boards that you can dishwash you run into size limitations (it has to pysically fit in your dishwasher), and most of them don't have a lot of depth either.

Sorry, but while I agree with a lot of your points (especially the first paragraph about the general categories)... some of what you're saying is not true. You always 'come to the rescue' of the edge grain boards (and it's not like I hate them, I have several of those too) but have you even used an end grain one?

So I clearly stated that I have owned end grain boards. I also clearly stated that I think they're great. I just don't think they're objectively superior in performance as is so often heavily promoted. If you think they are that's cool.

I'm not coming to the rescue of anything. There is a a very common assertion among the knife community, especially seen in various vendor videos, that Japanese and/or end grain boards are a must when buying Japanese knives. I don't find that to be true so when someone asks for opinions about boards, I share mine.

If I had the money to spare I'd own boars from both @John Loftis and @OwlWoodworks!

I pointed out the Boos boards because that's what the OP asked about.

Last edited:
So I clearly stated that I have owned end grain boards. I also clearly stated that I think they're great. I just don't think they're objectively superior in performance as is so often heavily promoted. If you think they are that's cool.

I'm not coming to the rescue of anything. There is a a very common assertion among the knife community, especially seen in various vendor videos, that Japanese and/or end grain boards are must when buying Japanese knives. I don't find that to be true so when someone asks for opinions about boards, I share my mine.

If I had the money to spare I'd own boars from both @John Loftis and @OwlWoodworks!

I pointed out the Boos boards because that's what the OP asked about.
I do agree that end-grain boards are far from mandatory. I've never even touched a Hasegawa and all my stuff survived just fine, and I use regular edge grain all the time as well... so no argument there.

I just don't really see the massive price gap that seems to be part of your argument; I can already get a good 45x35 (17,7 x 13,8 inch) board here for less than 40 euros. My 60x40 (23, 6 x15,7 inch) can still be bought today for 90 euros. They really don't have to cost that much of a premium. Of course here you also see plenty of gucci options with price tags to match, but they don't have to cost a fortune.

For me, the biggest issue with cutting boards that makes me use Hinoki and Hasegawa boards is weight. I don’t leave my boards out all the time, and a large wood board is generally very heavy. I’m not looking to have a piece of functional furniture on display. I just want something easy to use and care for. I have several end grain boards (maple, acacia, walnut) and they come out for parties or heavy chopping. We have plastic boards, thin plastic boards, Epicurian, bamboo, long grain wood, and sani tuff. I’ve tried most everything, and at our age (I’m retired now) I just want to use something easy to use for most things.

Reading through this thread it’s evident we all want different things from our cutting boards. 🙂

Last edited:
Oh didn't already see he was mentioned. Guy is local to me and owns a large industrial woodshop doing woodwork for corporate setups and fancy homes and does this on the side, so you know he knows what he is doing.
He is even willing to send you pics of the various boards he has in stock, in the size you want, to choose from. One of his boards arrived slightly warped and he paid for return shipping without a debate. Great customer service.

For me, the biggest issue with cutting boards that makes me use Hinoki and Hasegawa boards was weight. I don’t leave my boards out all the time, and a large wood board is generally very heavy. I’m not looking to have a piece of functional furniture n display. I just want something easy to use and care for. I have several end grain boards (maple, acacia, walnut) and they come out for parties or heavy chopping. We have plastic boards, thin plastic boards, Epicurian, bamboo, long grain wood, and sani tuff. I’ve tried most everything, and at our age (I’m retired now) I just want to use something easy to use for most things.

Reading through this thread it’s evident we all want different things from our cutting boards. 🙂
I think weight is really an advantage of the hasegawa that's reallly not mentioned a whole lot, but can be really relevant in certain situations. Not everyone has a kitchen with enough room or counter-top space to leave a big board permanenty in place... and I don't think I'd be very happy having to lug around one of the thick & heavy big boy boards every day.
In a lot of smaller appartment kitchens a permanent prep area is just not an option.

I recently bought a Kurosaki Senko Ei SG2 6.5" Nakiri and 8.25” Gyuto and want to get ahead of protecting the blade with better cutting boards. Today, I primarily use the OXO plastic boards and this paper composite board I got from William Sonoma.

I’m looking at getting 2…eventually

1. Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board (17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8" or the next size up).
  2. Some kind of wood/teak board (Boos, shuns, another recommendation?)
I’m not dropping $300 right now, but could do up to like $150.

Any recommendations on which you would prioritize, or comments on rather this makes sense to do?

Also, especially for wood boards, I’m kind of in the air. I’ve always heard Boos is great, but a lot of recent reviews makes it sound like they have either gone downhill, or that there is a lot of user error. Any recommendations on good options for a home cook?

Helpful to Know:

I cut a lot of veggies and soft herbs. I’m not so sure about the Hasegawa’s ability to handle the herbs, in particular. Also, I’ve read that veggies can lead to a fair amount of staining on it.

I do not want something that is a pain to wash or cumbersome to maintain. I have a toddler running around all of the time, and honestly do not trust myself to keep up a diligent maintenance routine on a cutting board. As sad as it may be to admit, I am unfortunately human.
Get a cutting board made from Hinoki wood, you'll never look back.
Something about the combination of hard Japanese steel & soft Japanese wood, perfect combo.
Perfect for veggies and herbs, just wipe it down with a damp cloth prior to use, especially if chopping something like dill that might stain.
Light and portable. We tossed (donated) most of boards after getting this one
I recently bought a Kurosaki Senko Ei SG2 6.5" Nakiri and 8.25” Gyuto and want to get ahead of protecting the blade with better cutting boards. Today, I primarily use the OXO plastic boards and this paper composite board I got from William Sonoma.

1. Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board (17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8" or the next size up).

Any recommendations on which you would prioritize, or comments on rather this makes sense to do?

Also, especially for wood boards, I’m kind of in the air. I’ve always heard Boos is great, but a lot of recent reviews makes it sound like they have either gone downhill, or that there is a lot of user error. Any recommendations on good options for a home cook?

Helpful to Know:

I cut a lot of veggies and soft herbs. I’m not so sure about the Hasegawa’s ability to handle the herbs, in particular. Also, I’ve read that veggies can lead to a fair amount of staining on it.

I do not want something that is a pain to wash or cumbersome to maintain. I have a toddler running around all of the time, and honestly do not trust myself to keep up a diligent maintenance routine on a cutting board. As sad as it may be to admit, I am unfortunately human.

Helpful to Know:

Recently found myself in the exact same situation.

Primarily need a board for cutting veggies and chopping herbs.

We have a Boos for slicing/carving meat occasionally, but none of our other boards felt good when using super sharp Japanese knives.

A Hinoki board solved that problem.
Something about hard Japanese steel & soft wood.
Perfect combo.

Will they last forever? No
Will they stain?
Yes, but simply wiping down with a damp cloth before and after use, prevents or dramatically reduces stains.

Super light, can be lifted, moved with one hand. We were able to toss (donate) most of our boards after switching to Hinoki wood.

Kept 2 Epicurean boards... one for slicing bread, one for cutting citrus.

We bought the 18.5" from these peeps, great size, incredibly lightweight.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/753619813/hinoki-cypress-thick-cutting-board-for?ref=yr_purchases

I do agree that end-grain boards are far from mandatory. I've never even touched a Hasegawa and all my stuff survived just fine, and I use regular edge grain all the time as well... so no argument there.

I just don't really see the massive price gap that seems to be part of your argument; I can already get a good 45x35 (17,7 x 13,8 inch) board here for less than 40 euros. My 60x40 (23, 6 x15,7 inch) can still be bought today for 90 euros. They really don't have to cost that much of a premium. Of course here you also see plenty of gucci options with price tags to match, but they don't have to cost a fortune.
I’m guessing here that you have never done carpentry work, but it takes three times longer to make end grain boards than your common edge grain board. If you can get a great deal on an end grain board than that same maker should be making edge grain boards for half the price has it is way less labor intensive to make regardless of which sweatshop you apparently buy your boards from🧐

I’m guessing here that you have never done carpentry work, but it takes three times longer to make end grain boards than your common edge grain board. If you can get a great deal on an end grain board than that same maker should be making edge grain boards for half the price has it is way less labor intensive to make regardless of which sweatshop you apparently buy your boards from🧐
Oh I fully understand that it's a lot more work to make an end-grain board. However through the magic of modern mass-manufacturing and low wages, the price can still be acceptable. Yes a 40 euro board is still still several times as expensive as a simple edge grain board from Ikea Ikea but does that really matter when you're going from 15 to 40?
The cheaper prices are not what you get from a 'small maker'... that's where you usually pay more because it's small scale production. The prices I listed were from a brand (Butler) that has been available for purchase for at least the last 10 years+ through big store chains in the Netherlands... but there's also other options that aren't much more expensive if you even just take a cursory look around. No clue where they source it; the 'sweatshop' assumption is just a guess on my part.

I switched from Epicurean to an eBay end-grain walnut, than about a year ago to a pair of Hasegawa boards.
Not sure if the Hasegawas are any easier on the blades, but I sure like how light they are for a given size, and also perfectly flat.

In our house, a cutting board gets a lot of use and various juices on it, so gets washed in the sink a lot, not just wiped off.

Overall, I prefer the Hasegawas for their combination attributes, weight being a big one.

I have four: a small beech sandwich board, a small hinoki for light vegetables, a bigger, more solid reclaimed Brazilian hardwood, and a large poly (plastic) for meats. Any of my three wooden boards can sit on top of my poly board. The hinoki, properly wetted, has a delightful fragrance. I'm in favor of a separate board for meats--for sanitary reasons.

I'd consider trading my poly for a Hasegawa--but what I have works very well for a home cook.

Back