Cutting stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.
I have a softish stone that I want to remove the kawa of - I am thinking hacksaw, but it's a first for me so any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Stone size is 170 x 80 x 25 ish

Cheers
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 09.11.55.png
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 09.11.33.png

I used a hacksaw on 2 stones. A Binsui and Uchigumori which gave me 2 TomoNaguras.
It takes time, but it works. I placed wax paper under the stones as I cut them to collect the
powder for polishing. I also used a rasp file on Omura to get stone powder for Hamon mix.

I used a hacksaw on 2 stones. A Binsui and Uchigumori which gave me 2 TomoNaguras.
It takes time, but it works. I placed wax paper under the stones as I cut them to collect the
powder for polishing. I also used a rasp file on Omura to get stone powder for Hamon mix.
Thanks for that! Never thought about the powders ;)

A small wet tile saw would handle that no problem. A diamond coping saw will do the job manually. I’m sure an angle grinder would also.

Key with these is to take it slow and let the saw do the work. Water helps keep dust down which is great. I’d recommend a respirator too because I don’t think messing with silicosis is a good idea.

Yeah people would use a saw of some kind.

I'm a bit crazy, and I like to shape stones using hammer and chisel. Point chisel and flat stone chisel, both in steel. No need for carbide necessarily -- as long as the chisel is sharp. Gotta learn how the chisels work though, and it's not as clean as a saw, or as "safe". Very fun though!!!

Done it on uchi and aoto and an Iyoto, akapin

Buy a jade cutting setup. rotating diamond blade. that’s how I’ve cut my stones

I can imagine that's really going to cause shockwaves in the ktichen market there. I wonder whether other countries will follow suit?
Honestly, it seems pretty stupid to me. Contractors not using PPE and managing dust seems to be the issue. Those folk, if not educated/required to learn about silicosis, will go on and grab a concrete/tile saw or find some other way to hurt themselves.

I work in the aggregate industry here in the US, and if we didn't have the safety regulations in place there would far more cases of silicosis. This industry and the construction industry also have the "safety protection is for wusses" mentality, which is another problem...

Lengthier analysis of the silicosis risk from engineered stone – I believe that includes brands like Caesarstone and Dekton.
https://hackaday.com/2023/12/19/australia-bans-engineered-stone-workers-elsewhere-demand-the-same/
Even if you’re just a consumer, there is some risk if you’re around during installation, and they’re doing drilling / cutting dry. At my place the carpenter had to get out his diamond drill bits to put screw holes in Dekton, and refused to use water when I suggested it; the next day another worker came in with a blower and sent a cloud of white dust into the air before I could stop him.

Once is too many:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38095547/

Back