Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xerxes on the board tonight
XerxesStill1.jpg

The Kamon was amazing as always. I know some of you aren’t fans of the look but it’s definitely a performer on the board
Gotta say the sub $200 Munetoshi is one of my favorite
The Kemadi was solid- definitely more workhorsey

Was this a custom?
Yeah. This one is ground thinner than my other one, so a very smooth, effortless cutter. Blows through sweet potatoes better than anything else in my rotation, but food release is not as good. Wet ingredients like apples really suck to the polished finish and there isn‘t as much convexity to push them off/limit surface contact. Hoping the food release improves as the patina develops, which is slowly coming along. As always, the fit and finish on Ian’s work is among the absolute best I’ve seen, and his 52100 is a joy to use. Sharpens up quickly with minimal work and feels bombproof on the board.

IMG_3921.jpeg

@fortheloveofmoar just after telling you I typically don't have to put much work into my inexpensive knives to get them to perform well, I'm posting a picture of an inexpensive knife I'm putting work into to get it to perform well. 🤪

This is a Yashima Nogu Kogyo 165mm nakiri:

20230925_164103.jpg

20230925_164117.jpg

https://knifejapan.com/shop-by-brand/yashima-nogu-kogyo/
This was a thick boy. Very work horsey and much more so than I like. I'm on my second round of thinning. Now, in fairness, there is something odd about this one. If you look at the 165 stats it shows 139g for weight. The 180 shows 171g. This guy arrived at 175 grams! Yes, the measurements do align with a 165 (I know I had that Sakai issue) and even with handmade stuff that's far too much for just piece-to-piece variation. I don't know why this guy came in so thick and heavy but it did. I can only chalk it up to one of those days at the grinding wheel of one of the many smiths who feed Yashima.

In all other respects, the knife was good to go and it did perform just like I said, not the way I like. Especially not for a 165mm nakiri.

He's down to 170 grams now and doing much better. I'm gonna give it another round for sure but it's getting there. I think it'll make a really nice knife when I get it dialed in. It'll be very Sanjo-esque.

Also, viva la iron clad! :)

The weight isn’t an issue, my watanabe165 nakiri is 181g, same for a 170mm nakagawa x morihiro santoku. Both are around 4mm spines at the handle but the wat is thinner and tapers quicker. Nimble short knives with some heft are nice to use. Both of these are thin behind the edge.

The weight isn’t an issue, my watanabe165 nakiri is 181g, same for a 170mm nakagawa x morihiro santoku. Both are around 4mm spines at the handle but the wat is thinner and tapers quicker. Nimble short knives with some heft are nice to use.

Agreed. I don't mind the weight itself. I was just using that as an indication of it being much thicker than what they normally list as.

@fortheloveofmoar just after telling you I typically don't have to put much work into my inexpensive knives to get them to perform well, I'm posting a picture of an inexpensive knife I'm putting work into to get it to perform well. 🤪

This is a Yashima Nogu Kogyo 165mm nakiri:

View attachment 271433

View attachment 271434

https://knifejapan.com/shop-by-brand/yashima-nogu-kogyo/
This was a thick boy. Very work horsey and much more so than I like. I'm on my second round of thinning. Now, in fairness, there is something odd about this one. If you look at the 165 stats it shows 139g for weight. The 180 shows 171g. This guy arrived at 175 grams! Yes, the measurements do align with a 165 (I know I had that Sakai issue) and even with handmade stuff that's far too much for just piece-to-piece variation. I don't know why this guy came in so thick and heavy but it did. I can only chalk it up to one of those days at the grinding wheel of one of the many smiths who feed Yashima.

In all other respects, the knife was good to go and it did perform just like I said, not the way I like. Especially not for a 165mm nakiri.

He's down to 170 grams now and doing much better. I'm gonna give it another round for sure but it's getting there. I think it'll make a really nice knife when I get it dialed in. It'll be very Sanjo-esque.

Also, viva la iron clad! :)
Interesting, the pics at KJ show quite a thin spine… is it thicker at the shinogi that at the spine?

Back