D. Martell Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave:

Do you have an update on how the knives are coming along?

Thanks.

How long is it taking you to grind these, Dave? Not cutting a profile, but actually thinning and placing bevels.

I'm not sure exactly. I've been doing them a couple (or a few) at a time in stages and doing all sorts of other stuff at the same time.

Lost a suji to the overgrind. :sad0:

If it wasn't for pushing the thinness that we're looking for I could make knives all day long. It's the search for the wow factor that causes us to push and make the mistakes.

Maybe it's still good for a salmon slicer :)

Stefan

Lost a suji to the overgrind. :sad0:

If it wasn't for pushing the thinness that we're looking for I could make knives all day long. It's the search for the wow factor that causes us to push and make the mistakes.

That's a bummer, but at least you're learning!

If it's any help by the time you get to my suji I'm not looking for razor thinness. I sold my Konosuke suji because it was too thin and flexible for my needs. :)

Just for the record I'm also with you guys on that but it's the edge thinness that's the ballbuster. I'm trying my best to find the balance between having an thin edge and a spine that's been thinned just enough so that it doesn't go all wonky in work.

Sorry to hear that Dave. You either spend hours sweating and thinking, and happy for a week, or 30 minutes working happy and carefree, followed by a week of swearing.

It is amazing how thin some guys(notably Del) can go without screwing it up.

Update - got a suji and gyuto ground out this weekend. Now to add some wood and move onto the next ones.

Two questions Dave:

1) What number are you at? and why aren't you at 23 yet!

2) Are the sujis and gyutos getting different number system?

Two questions Dave:

1) What number are you at? and why aren't you at 23 yet!

2) Are the sujis and gyutos getting different number system?

1. I'm working on 6, 7, 8, 9, & 11

23 is getting closer! :p

2. No same numbers - just to 12 and then that's that.

Dave it's " the kitchen" got to make it a bakers dozen!:thumbsup::cheffry:

Sorry to hear that Dave. You either spend hours sweating and thinking, and happy for a week, or 30 minutes working happy and carefree, followed by a week of swearing.

It is amazing how thin some guys(notably Del) can go without screwing it up.
:viking: Del has been doing this for quite awhile, the downside of that is that you really can go to thin(which Dave told me wasn't possible-sheesh) Del has also screwed up more knives than Dave will make this year and maybe even next year. :)
Del

Update > I'm in the middle of many knives so when I start getting them out many will flow. I'm up to working on Colin's (#13).

Back