Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey i am new member of the forum and new to knife sharpening.
I got a cheap cleaver, rly cheap from ali (16€) to start my journey.
Its crude and weihgs 371g is 30cm long with a 19.5cm Blade. Hight is between 9.5cm and 9 cm. As i have no caliper i can give no information thickness.
I hope i can get some help / advice what i can do to improve it and my skills.
My first question would be if i could remove the belly for a more flat cutting edg.
Cheers

Attachments

• cleaver 1.jpg
    cleaver 1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cleaver 2.jpg
    cleaver 2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cleaver 3.jpg
    cleaver 3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
  • cleaver 4.jpg
    cleaver 4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
My first question is do you really want to remove that mild belly? Have you ever noticed almost all cleavers made in China have it? Could it be they feel a proper cleaver design requires it. I have a cleaver like the one you purchased and have never found it to be a handicap for Chinese/Thai/Viet/ Cambodian etc. cooking.

Anyone have any intel on this https://tsubaya.jp/en/products/blue2-chuka-kokutan-hakkaku?

I assumed it was one of the Tanegashima cleavers but it's labeled as a "one-off." Appears it is sporting full-blown machi like an usuba or something.

Not sure how it could weigh 500g and be ground so thin.
Here is the kurouchi Tanegashima cleaver after I thinned it. It was not that thin BTE OOTB. Blue 2 felt very tough and hard, a little less keenness than some other Blue 2. I really like the stubby wa handle. Grind was very uneven though. Needed a lot of work. I think it was like 480 grams initially.

Strange question but how do you all store your cleavers? Having a polite and civil discussion with my wife about "our" need for a cleaver and her main point is how do we store it. She then aggressively points at our knife rack...
PXL_20240609_060942568.jpg

just like a RTX4090 - it takes more slots. three good options really -

1. put it on the bar in your picture which will take the space of 2 gyutos.
2. use an edge guard and put it in a kitchen drawer
3. VCI paper lined cardboard saya also works very well. then you can put it wherever you want.

If I didn’t have as many cleavers or the rack that I have, I would get those single magnets they sell. I’ve seen many versions, but they’re essentially just small round discs that mount to the wall. I’m sure one is strong enough but maybe two per cleaver would be more appropriate. Plenty of other creative storage options on here if you go digging though, and most of them would work for cleavers. My cleaver rack is cool but I still want the cabinet with the doors that open and have magnets on the inside and the fancy little tassels for handle pulls. It’s on here somewhere and I will eventually have one made, to my specifications, whenever I find a skilled cabinet maker willing to take it on. It will have a nice strong lock on it, and this will be my present to myself whenever I become a father 😂

Last edited:
Strange question but how do you all store your cleavers? Having a polite and civil discussion with my wife about "our" need for a cleaver and her main point is how do we store it. She then aggressively points at our knife rack...View attachment 327046
This was my setup for ARM. Pointy knives can go on the floating magnets while the big boys take mag rack space.

20240220_155521.jpg

1000041263.jpg

These single magnets are strong enough for a 240 but you need 2 of them to hold a cleaver like the sugi #6

You could also have something like this built where it just takes up a hunk of wall. My bigass sugi only fits on the top rung, but you could space them out more for taller knives. Mine are 90 mm apart.

20240514_171147 (1).jpg

Back