David Chang is a d bag? Change my view

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, one more. i just heard an amusing comment from a friend:

"have you tried it? the biggest wt f about this whole thing is that chang's chili crunch is not even crunchy/crispy! what's wrong with this guy??"

to be clear, if you guys tell me that chlii crunch is a common synonym for chili crisp, i'm willing to accept that i'm ignorant/wrong. i've never heard someone say 'pass the chili crunch' in my life, though.
Here are examples of the companies using some variation of "crunch" in their chili and were sent cease and desist letters from Momofuku...
ChiliFlakes_OG.jpg
71CXrAaz26L._SL1500_.jpg
71N+eZg+F8L._SL1500_.jpg
71K-XSu0sKL._SL1500_.jpg

i wonder why chang ended up being targeted and not these other guys, then.

whatever, like i said, i don't even like him.

as far as i'm concerned, all these mofos including chang should just put "chili crisp" (the de facto, generic, untrademarkable term) on the jar if they don't have any better ideas ;p
again, what the heck is chili crunch? no one says that ever even if some companies put it on the jar. or do they?

Last edited:
Here are examples of the companies using some variation of "crunch" in their chili and were sent cease and desist letters from Momofuku...View attachment 315080

i believe this may be the actual product sold by the company that chang had to buy the trademark from. he holds "chile crunch®", not chili

I’m just here to say that my dislike of Chang predates the whole “chili crunch” thing. Most of my dislike has to do with trying to listen to his obnoxious man-boy-dude-bro-spoiled-kid opinions on his podcast.

I gave him a chance though!

Also, salsa macha > chili crisp/crunch in every way.

hrm

what, precisely, is your issue with the trademark? seriously, who of you out there are calling chili crisp "chili crunch"? if someone honestly does this then i'll reconsider my position lol, but i've never heard anyone say that. the trademark office felt the same way when it was trademarked, evidently.

to be clear, if you guys tell me that chlii crunch is a common synonym for chili crisp, i'm willing to accept that i'm ignorant/wrong. i've never heard someone say 'pass the chili crunch' in my life, though.

before this chang fiasco, if someone said chili crunch without context, i would have no idea what they're talking about. is that some kind of candy?

and if he does let the trademark die, he will have effectively granted a favor to other people who wanted to distinguish their chili crisp product by selling under the far, far less common 'chili crunch' moniker.

sure, he's no saint. lol. he's only making it possible for them to continue operating for free after having his arm twisted by the press (for reasons i don't get), but still. he paid for it after being sued, and it sounds like he's lighting that money on fire for the benefit of others even if not by choice.
Maybe read the article, especially the part where other companies were already selling 'chili crunch' and sent cease and desist letters to them? 🤷‍♂️

i wonder why chang ended up being targeted and not these other guys, then.

whatever, like i said, i don't even like him.

as far as i'm concerned, all these mofos including chang should just put "chili crisp" (the de facto, generic, untrademarkable term) on the jar if they don't have any better ideas ;p
again, what the heck is chili crunch? no one says that ever even if some companies put it on the jar. or do they?
Chang bought the Trademark. Why that original company was given the trademark, I don't know.

Chile Colonial had the trademark initially.

There's several companies that use 'crunch' instead of crisp.

In Chinese, crunch and crisp are the same word. Hence the crunch/crisp names...

Maybe read the article, especially the part where other companies were already selling 'chili crunch' and sent cease and desist letters to them? 🤷‍♂️

hm? i was referring to how chang is apparently no longer enforcing the trademark he acquired to resolve his issues with the previous holder. in that sense, he's doing those other businesses a favor (after all the bad press and already suing some of them, ofc).

Back