Deep saute pan recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an All-Clad saute pan but it feels a bit short (not deep enough) when I'm cooking a lot of greens or braising meat with stock and vegetables. I end up using a large stockpot in these cases, but then it's not so good to sear meat and reduce sauces.

I think something deeper (3 - 4.5 inches) would work better. Around 11 - 12.5 in diameter.

Any thoughts? Ideally something not super expensive, but I'm open to higher end stuff if it fits the bill. The one below looks great, but shipping outside of Europe is rather expensive and I'm not familiar with the maker (Pujadas, from spain).

https://www.edehillerin.fr/en/saute...ess-steel-tail.html#/177-choix_diametre_cm-32
Thanks!

I use my 6 quart All Clad D3 a lot. I like the low sides. They don't make it in copper core that I can find. I own the Made-in Rondeau pan and I like it. It is 10 quarts. So it kind of depends on use. I use a 6 quart more. I think my 6 quart is an All Clad Rondeau pot. It is not deep. It is the same size as my All Clad 8 quart with lower sides.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Last edited:
I got rid of all mine as reaction time was too slow on my gas stove top and I did not like it.. I gave them to my daughter to use on her electric stove.

I have to fess up I have a lot of LeCreuset pots and pans that I can use if I want to. I have way too many pots and pans.

Last edited:
This isn't used for cooking things where reaction time matters. It's used for having very stable low temperatures for extended periods.
They just bugged me. They were slow to heat up and if you got them too hot they were slow to cool down. I can see low stable temperatures.

Le creusets/dutch ovens are another option that might work for OP. You just have to be careful. You shouldn't preheat for a sear or you will crack the porcelain. They can handle as much heat as you can throw at them. Just not without something in them. So add your protein or veggies while it's still warming up then crank it.

I think deep sauté/rondeau pans over 10.5” are extremely useful and hard to find. Copper is awesome and expensive and very helpful the larger the diameter. Bourgeat and Falk make $$$$ rondeau’s in larger diameters in copper. Even heating on a house stove with a large diameter pan is a problem solved by thick copper. I have the below Bourgeat and it’s extremely useful and functional.

https://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-COPPER-HEAVY-SAUTE/dp/B000KENPVW?ref_=ast_sto_dp
I have 10.5” all-clad MC2 in 6 and 8qt and its useful but I prefer 11” for sauté/rondeau. Long handles are not useful on large heavy pans, I prefer loops (rondeau). I also have 13” all-clad and its good but my 20qt is taller than I typically need but it works really well whenever I use it. Most of my all-clad is discontinued MC2 which hit a good balance between even heating and reactive. Its not attractive but its well worth seeking it out on ebay for performance.

There are also some large diameter creuset that may work.

Last edited:
I think there is a big diff between a 5qt saute pan and a 10qt rondeau. I love both, but imo both are for different uses. I would concentrate on the following:
1. If you like tossing your food, then you want something below 4lbs. If you're a stirrer (like me) then weight doesn't really matter
2. if you want just best price for decent quality for budget reasons or because your family are careless with it, then you can def find something below $70 delivered
3. once to get into premium, 3 main things come into play: brand, materials, and looks (whether it fits with other pots). Brands for me don't mean much but materials make a big difference to me. If possible, I try to stir to cooper. If not pure 2.5mm copper, then copper sandwiched for evenness and responsiveness. I like my kitchenaid 5qt pan so much that I sold my matfer rondeau. But, that's me...

In the end, a good cook with good technique will out perform a below average cook with the best pans.

To revive an old thread (prefer that over starting new).
I recently bought this:
https://www.debuyer.com/en/1-719.html
Stainless steel sauteuse 24cm of the Prim'Appety line.

Was looking for a lightweight sauteuse that is easy on my wrist. To be used on induction. Wasn't necessarily looking for a cheap pan so looked at a wide range of prices.

My short review:
- Disc bottom pan (overall bottom thickness 5 - 6mm),
- Disc covers the full bottom, exposed aluminium (never had any issues with that in the past even though it looks somewhat cheaper),
- satisfactory heat distribution,
- good heat response (maintains a light boil at power setting 2, not all my pans do that),
- limited heat retention,
- nice smooth stainless steel on the inside (not overly sticky),
- comfortable grip.
- Decent build quality, it is pretty lightweight but still feels strong enough, in my eyes it seems a well judged balance between weight and durability.

Overall very happy with it, and very affordable, paid 44 euros.
Recommend as a lightweight sauteuse for induction!

Last edited:
Glad you found a pan you wanted. I picked up an All-Clad copper core 5.5 Dutch oven that I like a lot. It browns really well for stews and soups. It has become my go to pan for black beans and pinto beans. I have not used my 6 qt All Clad since I got my Dutch oven. I like the curved sides for stacking meat on when browning.

I just found a pretty decent deal on a Fissler Original Profi 2019 5qt braiser/rondeau. It has not arrived yet, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it. Been in the market for a 6-8qt rondeau for a while and this looks like it will be just the ticket.

It will also be my first foray into heavy disc based saute pans (vs fully clad) and I'll be interested to see if it's as good in practice as everyone says it is. If so, that may change my views on replacing my All-Clad saute pans with a different manufacturer's fully clad pans vs Demeyere's disc bottoms.

Fissler rondeau has arrived. It's actually a bit smaller diameter-wise than I had envisioned, which is not at all a bad thing, but it is deceptively capacious. My All-Clad 4qt saute pan's bowl fits inside the rondeau with space to spare.

Fit and finish is excellent. Non-clad walls look to be fully 1mm thick. This pan seems VERY durable, and exudes quality. We'll see how it cooks soon.

Back