Dentoukougeishi or traditional Japanese craftsmen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The heart shaped motif was introduced by "Southern Barbarians" (Portuguese) to Japan sometime between the mid-14th and mid 15th centuries, during the Nanban Trade.

The heart shape symbolizes the boar's eye ("Inome") in ancient Japan.
You can find them as decorative motifs in old temples and on weapons.
Predates any Portuguese influence by a few hundred years....

You guys made me craving some portugese tempura
_20190721_131300.jpeg

Using 'out of context' (innapropriate) design language in certain places is uncouth in many cultures...
imagine using txt lol omg rofl where normal english is explected (like a businss card or signature)

only hipsters debate this...;)

... however.... its because they are trying to sell something....
which I think in a nutshell is the summary
of this interesting little sidebar !

Using 'out of context' (innapropriate) design language in certain places is uncouth in many cultures...
imagine using txt lol omg rofl where normal english is explected (like a businss card or signature)

only hipsters debate this...;)

... however.... its because they are trying to sell something....
which I think in a nutshell is the summary
of this interesting little sidebar !

Not sure if you’re new to KKF—I’ve actually never read any of your posts before now. Part of KKF’s purpose is to be a platform for having dialogue, exchanging ideas and insights, about a variety of subjects relating the craft, use and culture of kitchen knives.

I’m not sure which or who's comment you’re referring to as being “’out of context' (innapropriate) design language”? Most of what I’ve read on this thread appears valid responses to posts. However, when things spontaneously spin feistily off topic (within reason), that’s part of the fun on KKF.

Regarding your discomfort with “design language”—it would be useful and educational for you to familiarize yourself with the nature of many KKF threads, where much of the discourse is centered on knife design, use and materiality. Threads are often a good mix of esoteric, academic and practical knowledge—interspersed by the occasional wisecrack. I have much appreciation for the diverseness of KKFers—pro cooks, home cooks, knife makers, lawyers, designers, et al—and have learned a lot from these threads.

BTW, confused by your comment of “only hipsters debate this,” not sure what that means. How do you define a hipster? Are you a hipster? If so, please enlighten me. Or was it intended be a disparaging remark about a direction of the conversation that you know little about? If it’s the latter, then that’s very sad.

Of course no disrespect intended here. Just hoping that intelligent, diverse dialogue within out KKF community will combat small-minded viewpoints on kitchen knife related topics.

nah... he just lives in an area near a ton of awesome bars. Also, you underestimate how much japanese workers (or people working in japan) go out drinking

Learned this the hard way. Went out drinking with my brother in law who works in Tokyo when I was there, and he and his coworkers nearly destroyed me.

The Japanese Traditional Craft Association is a government project for the purpose of preservation so that traditional crafts like dyeing, textiles, lacquerware, ceramics, paper making, metalwork, etc. can survive in a modern economy.

The skills and knowledge required to become a member are based more on traditional and technical aspects of the craft and are not generally based on end-user product review.

There will always be outstanding craftsmen that aren't participating in these projects, and while it can be a great honor to be valued by the government as a torch-holder and to have your knowledge and skills appreciated, it's no guarantee to the end user that the product will be optimal for their precise needs.

If you are a performance-minded user and don't care about craft preservation, then a product or maker being designated a traditional craft is not a primary criterion in purchasing decisions.

The Japanese Traditional Craft Association is a government project for the purpose of preservation so that traditional crafts like dyeing, textiles, lacquerware, ceramics, paper making, metalwork, etc. can survive in a modern economy.

The skills and knowledge required to become a member are based more on traditional and technical aspects of the craft and are not generally based on end-user product review.

There will always be outstanding craftsmen that aren't participating in these projects, and while it can be a great honor to be valued by the government as a torch-holder and to have your knowledge and skills appreciated, it's no guarantee to the end user that the product will be optimal for their precise needs.

If you are a performance-minded user and don't care about craft preservation, then a product or maker being designated a traditional craft is not a primary criterion in purchasing decisions.

Couldn’t have put it better myself

Side note: the unfortunate thing is that members here are in all sorts of different time zones around the world. Whenever I have my best buzz I find myself PMing a maker about custom work and he’s just waking up.

Well, I’m only on my 3rd IPA...might crack open the Ardbeg in a bit to get on @osakajoe ’s level.
This is a fine dumpster fire we have going on here. I’d give it a 4 star review.

Yes it is. Why don’t we all have one and gather around the fire and keep warm.
5NnoYJO.jpg

Currently visiting Miyajima shrine. But it’s pouring hard and there’s a brewery next door

Yes it is. Why don’t we all have one and gather around the fire and keep warm.
5NnoYJO.jpg

Currently visiting Miyajima shrine. But it’s pouring hard and there’s a brewery next door

When I was visiting Japan 2 years back, they insisted on taking us to see a no play. In the rain. In April. In Omagari. (Akita prefecture, kind of Northerly, eh?).

We politely sat outdoors in the cold drizzle through this important cultural experience, which still does not compute. Then, THANK GOD, they took us to a brewery! I didn't care how unpalletizing the fungus they used to convince that un malted rice to convert starches to fermentable sugars sounded, I needed that alcohol BADLY by then.

Back