Dictum Ultra Speed Stones for Tormek

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not used it, but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile buying. The original stone that comes with the Tormek, is also a 1000 grit stone (220/1000 grit after using the stone grader) From my very limited understanding of German, the Dictum is also an aluminumoxide stone, which might not be as efficient as the Tormek Original when working with harder steels. The Original is supposedly designed to work with carbon and Hi-speed tool steels, but that claim can be a bit misleading. Aside from grit-number, it's good to know the type of abrasive, as well as the binding agent used, and abrasive density. That information is not easy to find or determine. Contacting Tormek customer service directly might get you those answers. Tormek does have their "BlackStone", which is a silicon-carbide abrasive stone, and that would be a very fast stone, suitable for very hard steels. I've always been under the impression that the Tormek Original is a carborundum stone, but that may not be the case.

Last edited:
Back