Do I want a kiridashi (or kanna) for stone testing and polish practice?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have something for testing stones and practicing polishing that feels easier than a big gyuto. I'm guessing something with both hard steel and soft iron would be nice, but what do you all use and enjoy for this purpose? TIA!

Last edited:
One thing to note is that the iron on kanna tends to be exceptionally soft compared to clad kitchen knives. That said, I still enjoy using mine for this purpose. It’s a quick and easy way to see what a stone has going on generally and I find the feedback valuable. I’ve got a spare kanna blade I use just for stone testing I’d let go of, can PM me if interested.

The absolute best case scenario is a small tester knife in my opinion though. Difficult and more expensive to find a decent one than a old kanna blade however.

Thanks to everyone for the info so far. I've got a couple of offers that I may take people up on. As far as a small tester knife, would something like this 65mm Zakuri be a good option? Description claims blue #2 and damascaus cladding.
That's a beautiful little knife, but it's going to be a challenge to evaluate polishing potential well because the cladding and core are so close. The benefit of a Tosa nakiri or some such is that you'll be able to more easily see the cladding line.

Both kanna and kiridashi are awesome for testing. It may not be a direct 1:1 to knife steel/iron, but they’re incredibly useful if you have stones, progressions, etc to test

I like wrought iron kanna because they’re cool, and the finer capabilities of some jnats can be exposed with how it affects the banding. Kiridashi actually has high utility as an everything blade, and every time you destroy a box with it you get to repolish 🤣.

Having a polish mule is the best case scenario of course, and yes, @refcast has these in spades. He’ll even fix your kanna and put an absolutely killer edge on it.

Cheapie kiridashi exist at knifewear and other retailers too! Maybe not ground perfect, but good enough for our purposes.

Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have something for testing stones and practicing polishing that feels easier than a big gyuto. I'm guessing something with both hard steel and soft iron would be nice, but what do you all use and enjoy for this purpose? TIA!
Kiridashi is great for testing the stone finish since they are single bevel and small in size. We can see the finish produced by the stone easily.

Myself I use my old Yanagiba to see the stone finish on the blade and how the knife perform after sharpening and polishing.

I have used both over the years. Both are good, but both will generally tell you the same thing. Both are relatively flat bevels. It's response will be a little different than a wide bevel on a knife but you will be able to see how fine the stone is and how it acts with banding if you get a kiridashi or kanna that has iron that displays banding, or either clad in wrought to show the layered iron and slag.

Here's the one he got from me

PXL_20220804_033838874.jpg
PXL_20220804_033850183.jpg
PXL_20220804_033940168.jpg

Back