do you stir constantly, when making rissoto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to use a short grain rice because it has a higher amount of amylose compared to medium or long grain rice. Amylose is the starch that causes the risotto to become thick and creamy. The more amylose, the more liquid the rice can absorb. Don't use rice labelled as risotto rice because manufacturers are legally allowed to use either medium or short grain rice and call it "risotto rice". The best 2 types of rice for risotto are Vialone nano or carnaroli in my opinion.

You want to use a short grain rice because it has a higher amount of amylose compared to medium or long grain rice. Amylose is the starch that causes the risotto to become thick and creamy. The more amylose, the more liquid the rice can absorb. Don't use rice labelled as risotto rice because manufacturers are legally allowed to use either medium or short grain rice and call it "risotto rice". The best 2 types of rice for risotto are Vialone nano or carnaroli in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! Very good info!!!!!!!!!

I've got another seemingly common point of contention. What is the correct viscosity of risotto to you? I 've seen one specific viscosity answered most commonly but respectable chefs saying another.

It should definitely not ever be piled into a ring mould, or have the consistency to hold that shape. It should be fluid enough that a spoonful on a plate spreads to the edges of the plate if gently shaken. Almost soupy is the answer!

I had a chef insist on using cold stock. I hated life. A batch would take an hour or more to get al dente. He was later fired and I was promoted. Warm stock for everyone! A lot less cooking time. Much rejoicing!

Shrimp/Saffron risotto

And yes, I stirred constantly.

i did a green pea risotto last night. i served it along side a double thick cut center-cut pork chop that i grill smoked with almond wood.

running between stovetop and my backyard weber was very interesting..eventually, i decided fire management was more important than risotto management.

i went into the kitchen to add more broth and shake the pan and stir (occasionally)..then i did other things.

i'll be honest..the resulting risotto was still creamy and soft..

what gives? also, what is the inside the restaurant secrets to rissoto? you pro chefs make a big batch and just warm it thru with added hot broth and vigorous stirring? no way you make each to order, right?

You need the constant stirring to keep the grains from burning. This is only required based on the method you use. if you are adding enough liquid at a time where there is no grains that are dry/on the bottom then you dont need to stir as often, although this also will probably result in a less then desireable batch... the way ive made it for years in the restaraunt is:

6 to 1 liquid to abborio ratio (ends up being more like 5 or 5.5 to one with the reducing of the stock as it simmers in another pot)

-heat my stock to a high simmer in a seperate sauce pan
-toast the grains and some shallots and garlic in olive oil. this will crack the rice and allow the starch to more easily seep out.
-add a cup of white wine
-1 ladle at a time, add the liquid, stirring constantly until the liquid is dissolved. then add another ladle.
-do this until all the liquid in your sauce pan is gone
-Add in a giant knob of butter and grate in some parmaseano reggiano.

i never cook the veggies or meat with the rissotto. if im making say pea risotto, i would make a seperate pea puree and blend it in during the last steps

remove the rissoto and spread it out on a sheet pan. once its cooled i cover and refrigerate. then i reconsistuite it with a ladle or two of the stock once its ready to serve, and blend in whatever puree im putting in it.

hasnt failed me in over 15 years

I sweat down onions and garlic till translucent and sweet, not browned tho. Add rice and dry stir to slightly toast to bring a nuttyness out. Deglaze with white wine and reduce that till nearly gone, then add chicken stock till abiut 2/3 cooked and lay out on sheet try to cool. Reheat to order in pan with butter, cheesen S&P, and stock. Never cream. Stir rappidly at the end.

yea, spot on exactly what i do.

i will continue to stand over the stove for 20 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon stamped "france" for the rest of my life. risotto is something that is genuine and should be kept as something sacred. what the hell else do we have in the kitchen? we should keep the traditions.

maybe mine is better than yours, its most likely.

love that you have the soul of a cook... i would agree 100% with you on your views here.

Back