Does anyone have a recommendation for a home use food mill?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilgoreTrout

Banned
Reaction score
I’m a pro chef so I’m well versed in cooking equipment for work. I want a food mill for home. I don’t want to spend $300 on the giant one I use at work so I’m looking for an at home model. The one that’s caught my eye on the smiley face A to Z shop is the OXO it seems compact, useful and the right size with a bowl for collection etc. generally I like and trust the OXO stuff but this is more expensive and complex than a bench scraper or microplain. Anyone have one they can give me the 👍👎? Or experiance with any other? Generally I will spend a bit more for a BIFL tool. Thanx in advance.

No home one will ever live up to a $300 high capacity stainless steel commercial model. I have a $5 vintage one from a flea market. It works fine when I'm just cooking for my partner and I. But I miss having a big sturdy one when I'm cooking for guests.

Mine looks like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FO...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Of course, I just don’t have the storage space, so it’s not an option. Nor would I use it enough to justify the expense. So here we are.

I busted an oxo after a dozen years. Now I have a big tin one (Tellier) for crowds and a little tiny 20 cm one that’s perfect for a can of tomatoes and really easy to clean. The tin tellier is about sixty bucks.

I bought the big one because I often mash potatoes for large dinners.

The oxo is OK. I haven’t used it in a while since its not jam season. I seem to recall it doesn't extract as much as I would like from fruit pulp easily so you either keep milling or accept it. Its good for the price, I had a solid stainless one that worked better but it cost several times more and broke.

As others said, I recall cleanup to be pretty easy and its held up for several years of use.

I got one of the OXO mills for Christmas. It has three different plates with progressively smaller opening. Swapping the plates in and out is very easy, and the whole thing comes apart very easily and can go in the dishwasher. I have used it several times to separate seeds and skins, etc., from fermented pepper mash for hot sauces. I’ve been very pleased with it.

I'm another with an Oxo for home. Did some demos and classes for a local culinary store - they sold 3 (IIRC) types that were under $100. For ease of use, cleanup, effectiveness the Oxo was the clear pick.

Latest posts

Back