Eclipse Sheffield Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
I've been cleaning up an old butchers knife in the last couple of days. No markings on the blade, but when I took the scales off and sanded the rust off the (3/4) tang, it turned out to be marked 'Eclipse'.

This seems possibly to be a company founded by James Neil in Sheffield in 1889. There's a bit of information about them on the internet, but nothing regarding production of kitchen or butcher knives. Would anybody know anything about it...?

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 40
Looks to me like it’s been user made from a large hacksaw blade. Eclipse make a lot of these, and the get repurposed often.
I keep a 6” piece with a chisel grind on the end in my welding jacket for knocking off spatter, works really well

Looks to me like it’s been user made from a large hacksaw blade. Eclipse make a lot of these, and the get repurposed often.
I keep a 6” piece with a chisel grind on the end in my welding jacket for knocking off spatter, works really well

Ah interesting! Could well be, especially considering the scales and a few other things.

This btw is how it came out looking. It's sharpened up really nicely, tho there are a few spots on the blade that will require evening out over time.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 20
Eclipse is a well known and prolific maker of tools in Sheffield England. They made everything from hacksaw blades to surface gauges. They were known for the high quality of their tools. It looks like the blade was made from a hacksaw blade made by Eclipse tools.

Eclipse is a well known and prolific maker of tools in Sheffield England. They made everything from hacksaw blades to surface gauges. They were known for the high quality of their tools. It looks like the blade was made from a hacksaw blade made by Eclipse tools.

Thank you, yep I couldn't see anything about production of knives. So it looks like you and others are right about it being a repurposed saw blade.

Do you know how Eclipse steel would differ from other Sheffield steels that are for knifemaking? I'm not an expert but on the surface this doesn't behave, look, or feel much different from other actual knives I've seen...

Thank you, yep I couldn't see anything about production of knives. So it looks like you and others are right about it being a repurposed saw blade.

Do you know how Eclipse steel would differ from other Sheffield steels that are for knifemaking? I'm not an expert but on the surface this doesn't behave, look, or feel much different from other actual knives I've seen...
The knife made from Eclipse Tools blade was most likely a power hacksaw blade made from high speed steel intended for metal cutting. Steel used for making knives in Sheffield would be normal carbon steel or stainless steel made in the city, SF77 is a stainless steel made in Sheffield and 1095 is made in Rotherham, a city adjacent to Sheffield. I have to admit I have only used a small amount of Sheffield steel in making my own knives, O1 steel by Saxon. The rest is German, Austrian and American steel. I have been looking for British made steel but its not been successful.

Latest posts

Back