Edge Leading on Jnats

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
I just received my first Jnat this weekend. It's very soft compared to my shaptons. I was wondering if you guys sharpen any differently on soft natural stones (or soft stones in general) compared to harder ones. I ask because I like to finish with edge leading stropping, but I'm not sure if there would be any negatives in doing so.

Last edited:
There is some adjustment, I guess, but I don't really know what it is, because it's subtle. The main points I would make with soft stones are: make really sure that they are flat. You don't say which Shaptons you have, and I don't have the Pros, but the Glass stones dish very, very slowly, and your soft JNat will dish more quickly. Something to keep an eye on. The other point is: be careful about digging into the stone. Hard stones have a way of telling you your angle is too high. Soft stones may tell you this when you dig a furrow and realize you've messed up part of your edge (just a little, though).

The good news is that soft stones are easier than hard ones, so there's really not too much to worry about. And some final edge-leading passes for stropping are a perfectly good thing to do on them.

There is some adjustment, I guess, but I don't really know what it is, because it's subtle. The main points I would make with soft stones are: make really sure that they are flat. You don't say which Shaptons you have, and I don't have the Pros, but the Glass stones dish very, very slowly, and your soft JNat will dish more quickly. Something to keep an eye on. The other point is: be careful about digging into the stone. Hard stones have a way of telling you your angle is too high. Soft stones may tell you this when you dig a furrow and realize you've messed up part of your edge (just a little, though).

The good news is that soft stones are easier than hard ones, so there's really not too much to worry about. And some final edge-leading passes for stropping are a perfectly good thing to do on them.
Yea I have the shapton pros and they're pretty hard and barely dish at all. What about soft stones do you think makes them easier?

Yea I have the shapton pros and they're pretty hard and barely dish at all. What about soft stones do you think makes them easier?

Ah, you caught me. I was paraphrasing conventional wisdom. Personally, I like hard stones and don't find them difficult at all. But people say they are...

This pertains to natural stones only. Soft stone release more abrasives readily, hence usually cut a little faster. You can also go at them with a little more pressure without destroying your edge as the stone has a little "give".

Soft stones are also muddier and hence more forgiving for bevel polishing, and can cover up uneven bevels.

Back