Everything Isamitsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a chance to take some “better” pictures:

1245B8A2-9E56-46C4-B9A2-605F77A0F9B3.jpeg
61A7DC2E-1622-43E7-A52F-ADEE66F96A90.jpeg
EBF0CB9F-C480-4F30-9564-7B1438C3CEC2.jpeg
04722277-A7E8-4F0A-9299-695B926E599B.jpeg

No clue if this has been posted already but welp... looks like it's time to get those orders in.

For those that don't have the bandwidth: Isamitsu prices will increase ~15% starting April 1st.
Screenshot 2023-02-27 154926.png

Depends on what you mean by recent @jaydee :) When I ordered mine in December, i noted the following prices. The +XXXX is the upgrade for the fine finish.

240 AS Gyuto77000 + 7700
240 W1 Gyuto48400 + 7700
240 AS Kiri86900 + 7700

240 W1 Kiri
50600 + 7700
210 W1 Gyuto33000
210 AS Gyuto55000 + 5500
210 W1 Kiri35200
210 AS Kiri57200 + 5500

Of course, I saw these prices and realized that in best TFTF style, the upgrade cost for the AS is outrageous.

So... I ordered it in AS. They said it would be done in March, I haven't heard from them yet, so things are slowly starting to get interesting.

Last edited:
@miggus did you get your knife already?

Also I am pondering between the W1 and AS… anyone here got both or can review their Isamitsu how it performs?

Lots of appreciation to you guys and happy easter

Excited what you are getting Miggus, I mean Andy!
That slightly confuses me :D My name is not andy :D

@miggus did you get your knife already?
No, not yet. They said March, I am waiting for it... but they certainly have a lot to do and it's been delayed by a bit, so I decided to wait 1-2 more months before inquiring.

Also I am pondering between the W1 and AS… anyone here got both or can review their Isamitsu how it performs?
I don't have both, at least not from Isamitsu.

But I have read a lot about the topic and collected many knowledgeable people's experiences. Here's what I concluded.

Short version: For home cooks, it will make virtually no real difference which one you get. So save your money and stick with W#1.

Long version: There's a ton of theory. Sure, AS has more elements, grabbier carbides, longer edge retention, some slight reduction in corrosion happening, different response to heat treat etc etc.

But I bet you that very few people, when given a well-done blade in AS and an identically well-done blade in W#1, will be able to tell the which one is which, let alone notice a real difference in quality.

I didn't because my stomach said the more expensive knife is somehow better lol.

I heard alot of TF especially when I was still an apprentice looking for my first knife and there I saw it… The most expensive Gyuto I have ever seen. So I started giving myself some time and a goal to get those knives once in a lifetime.

Well more than 7 years later… I still dont own a TF knife and considered to get one after spending tons of time sharpening, thinning etc to get my hands dirty on the Denka Series and out of nowhere Isamitsu arrived and also were working for TF some years made me come to the decision to support the next generation.

Logically it should be nearly like the Maboroshi and Denka Series just with Isamitsu Twist. But after reading on their page, that they are pretty confident with W1 made me doubt a little bit…

I think it’s best to ask Gaku about his AS experience in a nice japanese way to get some better insight and decide after that hahaahha.

both white 1 and blue super from Isamitsu is top notch, both get blazing sharp and edge retention is very good. The only difference from my experience is the edge retention bit, it is slightly longer for blue super and the edge appears to be more stable for extreme edge geometry.

Here’s a 240 mm White #1 Steel with Stainless Cladding and Mulberry Handle and Saya from Isamitsu Knives Gaku was always helpful and sent pictures and updates as the knife was being made.View attachment 236552View attachment 236553

what a beauty! Gaku's grinding is gotten even better since they started - I think they are a complete package now functional and grind wise.

So i am actually in the talks with Isamitsu for a K-Tip Gyuto 240 and would like to know if requesting a wide bevel is something out of range for those types of knife? What else should I consider when requesting for a wide bevel? Higher height like 55-57mm and thicker spines?

So i am actually in the talks with Isamitsu for a K-Tip Gyuto 240 and would like to know if requesting a wide bevel is something out of range for those types of knife? What else should I consider when requesting for a wide bevel? Higher height like 55-57mm and thicker spines?
Its prelaminated bar stock so there is a limit to how thick they can go.

Ditto on what @Corradobrit1 said. If you're open to iron, however, Gaku told me (at least the last I spoke to him a few months ago) that he can also hand laminate iron for the same price. I don't know whether that still holds as they've been quite busy as of late but it might be worth looking into for your request.

Should be interesting indeed, because the aforementioned knife that I ordered I actually ordered with iron cladding and still couldnt get it above 55mm.

But that should still work out really well... I'm excited!
MGT02.jpeg

(I specifically ordered it with a straight back and not their trademark bulge so I can better use the back to push things around on the cutting board)

Last edited:
Just changed my order to iron clad after reading this thread.
Gaku has been great to work with - has been extremely accommodating.

Sooo.... I ordered mine in December and today I received it.

Sorry, only time for a terrible phone picture at the moment, but it is very well made. Not a glimpse of wabi-sabi, even though I might actually now have to look into getting my first kasumi done. Above it is a Togashi with Kasumi, and that is just so nice.

Ironically, I had wished in retrospect to have ordered it without the hammering pattern, but I didn't. They made it without it anyways, which is awesome. The rustic KU with real 3d structure is so attractive. And yeah, this is ironclad.

Couldn't be happier and will post some nicer pics soon.

IMG_20230607_212608.jpg

Last edited:
Back