WTS F.Vaz 200mm mizu-honyaki k-tip 2 out of 3 special knives to this forum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvaz

Reaction score
Hey guys! As previously mentioned in my last posts, im going to show you the second mizu-honyaki i prepared for this forum.

Its a 1095 water quenched and heat treated to 62~63hrc. Has 200mm blade with a very smooth distal taper and a very thin convex grind, which has turned out to be my favorite recently. Amazing food release while offering a good structure for water quenched blades in very thin geometries.

Knife has 117 grams overall

Its handle is out of both my favorite exotic woods: kingwood and ebony.

I hand picked this kingwood from my storeroom and was literally the most beautiful i could find. When i saw the pattern of the grain i instantly imagined it in the facets of a wa handle. The ebony bolster speaks by itself, the classic look of it almost makes me remind of the classic luxury pianos that back in time used to be crafted out of ivory and ebony.

The blade is pleasantly light and has the balance perfectly set on the choil area, when doing a pinch grip, the knife really dresses your hand.

As most of my handles, it has a G10 inner core made to fit the tang and create a stable and resistant base for the wood itself.

My mizu-honyaki knives are ALL certified one-by-one and this means i make videos of quenching the actual knife in water (room temperature). So, whoever buyes this knife, will get a private youtube video of this knife being quenched in water. I dont share information about my clay as i took almost 2 years finding the perfect combination & polishing process, feel free to ask any other question. I kindly ask the customer to not share the private video*

As you might know, G10 have a density of around 1,8g/cm³ while kingwood about 1,1 and ebony about 1,25 (both heavier than water). Being really heavy and dense woods, g10 gives them a proper "skeleton" to withstand time in terms of warping and cracking since g10 wont warp due normal temperatures change and will not retain moisture.

While most of the times customers ask knives with exotic materials like fossilized coral reef, mammoth molars etc i did this build to be more practical than artistic, yet, kingwood for me is like a painting from Nature.

600usd shipped worldwide via DHL express (around 6-8 days to reach your hands). No taxes/fees on your end.

I consider this knife an amazing first contact to my work.

Hope you enjoy it!

Custom orders: Contact me via my website fvazknives.com for getting more information and check available range of materials and possibilities.

Thanks KKF :)

Forgot to mention that japanese word is Kando. Kando is a Japanese word for the simultaneous feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement we experience when encountering something of exceptional value. It is something very special to me i use only on blades i feel really connected.

I had first contact to Kando when i buyed my most recent Yamaha bike, which use this word to describe the feeling of riding its bikes, an intense excitement i definitely felt.

For those who like exotic material for handles, these arr fossilized mammoth molar (teeth). They do nice exotic spacers for handles.

Guaranteed to have at very least 13000 years old

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_233258.jpg
    IMG_20221213_233258.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
New handle materials available for comissions - really didnt needed to buy more stabilized maple but i couldnt let these blue & purple pass

Attachments

• ugmxBho.jpg
    ugmxBho.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
1 - RnUlJ2M.jpg

Received about 60pounds of kingwood in dimensions meant for saya
2 - kOINL0N.jpg
3 - BP5fPck.jpg
OXAT9lh.jpg

One of the most expensive and durable wood in the planet. Background history about its name is nice.

https://www.wood-database.com/kingwood/

Whoever buys this knife till the end of the year, will have a free of cost kingwood saya matching its handle. The wood is rated grade A+ free of defects and have so many interesting patterns available, a lot room for hand picking a very special one.

Happy xmas everyone!

Latest posts

Back