Favorite 1k stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I gotta admit I’m a little obsessed with finding the perfect mid grit stone. So far I’ve had chosera 800, 1k, JKI 1200, King 800, Shapton 1k, Tanso 1000 (from carbon knife co) Cerax 1000.

What are y’all’s favorite? My number 1 is still probably Naniwa chosera 800. Any others I should try?

I would not say there is a perfect medium grit stone and it depends on your budget. All of the ones already mentioned are all solid choices. Here are a few more:

Soaker: Gesshin 1000/2000
Naniwa Hibiki 1000
Tanaka Toishi Michibiki WA/GC 1000/2000

S&G: Gesshin 1500
NSK 1500
Suehiro Debado S 1000/1500
Shapton Pro 1000/2000

Synthetic/Natural Blend: Morihei Hi 1000
Imanishi Arashiyama 1000

Man I’ve heard so many people rave about this stone! Is it a true 500 grit do ya think?

I don't have abroad range of experience with different stones, especially down in the lower grits but I can offer you this. I don't own a 1k and see no reason to own one. The SG500 and 2k are an awesome pairing. For me, the SG500 does all the "heavier" work you want from a 1k just faster and the 2k offers the edge refinement. I just see the 1k as a lesser compromise of both. After playing around with a lot of different types of stones, I think I've arrived at a place where the SG500 would be my "only stone" if I was forced to make such a choice.

Exactly the thread I was looking for. SG1000 for me has been just ok. Chosera 800 I like when I'm using it, but the mess it makes me not take it out as much, curious how people experience with a Morihei or a Naniwa professional is.

I would not say there is a perfect medium grit stone and it depends on your budget. All of the ones already mentioned are all solid choices. Here are a few more:

Naniwa Hibiki 1000

NSK 1500
Shapton Pro 1000/2000

Imanishi Arashiyama 1000
Quite a few here I haven’t tried. I’ve heard great things from the NSK line at tosho. Probably a bit overkill for general edge sharpening though? Curious about vitrified diamonds as I’ve never tried them out before.

Have you had any experience with those? I’ll take a look! Thanks.

Yes. They are faster than Naniwa Pros and require less flattening imo. At the end of the day, all of these stones will provide sharp/usable toothy edges. What is more important is your techinque imo. I think part of the equation in preferences can be more on the feedback/feel and/or joy of using a particular brand of stone. You would have to try out several and see which one clicks for you as everyone has their own tastes.

I don't have abroad range of experience with different stones, especially down in the lower grits but I can offer you this. I don't own a 1k and see no reason to own one. The SG500 and 2k are an awesome pairing. For me, the SG500 does all the "heavier" work you want from a 1k just faster and the 2k offers the edge refinement. I just see the 1k as a lesser compromise of both. After playing around with a lot of different types of stones, I think I've arrived at a place where the SG500 would be my "only stone" if I was forced to make such a choice.

I tend to agree. I have an SG1k but these days when setting a new bevel I just go straight from the SG500 to SG4k, and I do touchups on the SG4k.

I haven't touched the SG1k for over a year, although I probably would use it for removing scratches when thinning after the SG500.

Naniwa Hibiki 1000

NSK 1500
Shapton Pro 1000/2000

Imanishi Arashiyama 1000
Is the Hibiki really a soaker in use? It’s advertised as S&G.

Chosera 800 was always my favorite in that range.
So it's mine. A very versatile one, too, when varying pressure, mud, water. Delivers a fine edge around 1200 AND is capable of removing a serious amount of steel as well. I like a lot the feedback it offers — both tactile and auditory.

Exactly the thread I was looking for. SG1000 for me has been just ok. Chosera 800 I like when I'm using it, but the mess it makes me not take it out as much, curious how people experience with a Morihei or a Naniwa professional is.
Are you asking about Naniwa pro 1k? I think most people people favor the 800 over it for mid grit edge sharpening. I personally wasn’t a fan.

Any experience out there with King Hyper 1k?

Any experience out there with King Hyper 1k?

Imo, these are a step up from the deluxe and a quality stone. There are two different versions (harder & softer). The softer may be more useful for working convex bevels, otherwise the harder version may be more of use. The softer version wears faster and will need to be maintained more often.

Back