Favorite gyuto for filleting salmon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an awesome 270mm Togiharu k-tipped hollow-ground suji that I got from Korin for the express purpose of breaking down fish. I got it on the suggestion of a young gun named Justin Khanna, who had broken down literally tons of fish with his. It's great if you want to go the "long 'n kinda-flexy" route. It doesn't have too much bend to it -- just enough. I wish I had occasion to use the knife more often, but it's a bit of a drawer queen because I don't have the opportunity to break down larger pieces of fish very. At any rate, it's the kind of knife best suited toward the end of butchery to remove skin and slice portions. But it's great for that! For actual filleting, a small deba would be the way to go.

It depends on your preferences and cutting style. I have a Tojiro 240 western deba that is kind of like a super-gyuto on steroids. It could probably do the full job from breaking down the salmon to removing the skin... even doing the slicing. I also have a 165mm wa-handled yo-deba that could break down the fish, but wouldn't be ideal for skinning or slicing. That's where a yanagiba or sujihiki can be helpful. What size deba you use depends on your purpose and technique, as well as what other tools you have available to you.

I also have a 165mm wa-handled yo-deba that could break down the fish, but wouldn't be ideal for skinning or slicing. That's where a yanagiba or sujihiki can be helpful. What size deba you use depends on your purpose and technique, as well as what other tools you have available to you.

Cool thanks!
Yeah, skinning with a single bevel deba sounds hard. Wouldn’t be my first pick. Actually, for skinning I prefer either a somewhat blunt chef knife, or a thin flexible thing. Have yet to master that with a Yanagiba or sujihiki.

I have no experience whatsoever with Deba knives. It that Watanabe Sakekiri looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I don’t need one but now I want one. Thanks KKF! o_O

My grandpa used to fish, mainly trouts and once a year salmon. He got introduced to RAPALA knives when he was in Alaska. Pretty much everybody there seemed to use those. He brought me one, does the job, costs next to nothing (and is worth exactly that).

I’d go for a quality knife. I enjoy quality tools. Watanabe would be my choice. The price for that Sakekiri is quite fair too. You can ask for a Blue #2 if you prefer that steel, but I’d take White without hesitation...

Last edited:
I have no experience whatsoever with Deba knives. It that Watanabe Sakekiri looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I don’t need one but now I want one. Thanks KKF! o_O.

Yeah, KKF has that effect on me too. I really have everything I need, but pictures and discussions here tickle a knife appetite I find hard to ignore. My sober rational side says ’no’, the rest of me hungers for more.

Yeah, KKF has that effect on me too. I really have everything I need, but pictures and discussions here tickle a knife appetite I find hard to ignore. My sober rational side says ’no’, the rest of me hungers for more.
Thanks to KKF I not only have everything I need but the truth is I have much more than I ever needed...

Thanks to KKF I not only have everything I need but the truth is I have much more than I ever needed...

I'll help you :p Have the 180 right hand grind thin Watanabe deba on order it is Dave's fault for posting it. Shinichi from Watanabe E- mailed me said he has made them for people who work in fish market & fishery factory.

I have a chunky, cheap Tosa made funayuki I prefer for fish fab, over a deba. I break down so much salmon at work, I rarely pull out a specific knife, and just use whatever is already out. My daily drivers are a stainless clad Tanaka and a Tsourkan. Both breeze through salmon. I have a custom salmon slicer I use about once a year.

Cool thanks!
Yeah, skinning with a single bevel deba sounds hard. Wouldn’t be my first pick. Actually, for skinning I prefer either a somewhat blunt chef knife, or a thin flexible thing. Have yet to master that with a Yanagiba or sujihiki.

I use to keep a western filet knife around just for skinning in the belief that the flexibility was important for this purpose. I must have been wrong, as I have using my yanagiba for skinning with no problems at all for several years now.

Rick Theory is why I have my 240 Tojiro. I never need to break down a 105lb halibut, but it's nice to know that if I ever need to, the problem won't be with the knife.

Also great for reducing chicken into fractions.

Rick Theory is why I have my 240 Tojiro. I never need to break down a 105lb halibut, but it's nice to know that if I ever need to, the problem won't be with the knife.

Also great for reducing chicken into fractions.

Don’t mean to be rude, but that halibut handling is not terribly impressive. The result in the end is ok. But it takes too many cuts and too much time to get there. Nice knife though.

Here is a better one! (Crappier knife for sure - and what is doing with the stone and the rod? - but very skilled).

Last edited:
highly recommend Masahiro MV steel 270mm, pakka wood handle version.

strong , tuff, thin and the have very nicly distal taper ( the best i have ever seen in machine gyuto), and toothy, easy to sharpen.

in my opinion it should be the one of best for fish work ,1/9 grind is perfect for fish work.

Back